1394 stopped working

stupidfatnugly

I connect my external hard drive via 1394 firewire and it suddenly stopped working. my hard drive does work via USB still. So it's not the hard drive.
not sure if it's the cable yet. But, how do I know if it's my laptop?

do you have any other firewire device to test your computers port on ? that way you can isolate it to the drive or the computer.

the reason for the 2 firewire ports on the drive is for daisy chaining firewire devices. Like a audio interface and a external drive or even a 2nd external drive so you only us one port on the computer.

the reason for the 2 firewire ports on the drive is for daisy chaining firewire devices. Like a audio interface and a external drive or even a 2nd external drive so you only us one port on the computer.

irrelevent here... assuming i read him right he's saying the drive doesnt work with any of the three possibilities but does work on usb... so it's either the cable (assuming a different cable was not used in trying with the tabletop) or the fw port on the dr is bad...

and try another firewire device to see if the computers interface is eather working or not but checking the system in control panel and looking for hardware devices to see if it there is not a bad thing ether.

Two ports on the drive won't tell you much. They're both controlled by the same PHY in all likelihood, which means a single component failure would take them both out. The only way to really know for sure what's going on is to try a different FireWire device like a camcorder or something and see if it shows up. If it does, it's the drive. If it doesn't, it's the laptop's port or the cable (or you just installed Windows XP SP2). Try a different cable, but it is exceptionally rare for a FireWire cable to fail, from what I've seen.

Try a different cable, but it is exceptionally rare for a FireWire cable to fail, from what I've seen.

lol... thats what we might expect but ya never know... when i copped my fw1884 it didn't work... i was pissed... just knew it couldn't be the cable... took awhile to sink in... it was the new cable tascam put in the box...

lol... thats what we might expect but ya never know... when i copped my fw1884 it didn't work... i was pissed... just knew it couldn't be the cable... took awhile to sink in... it was the new cable tascam put in the box...

Oh, I could believe that a brand new cable that had never been used could be bad. What would be surprising would be an initially working cable failing (not counting extreme abuse, obviously). The odds of a PHY blowout due to accidentally torquing a connector are several orders of magnitude greater.

It's kind of like RAM going bad. Yeah, it happens occasionally, but 99.999% of the time, the RAM was bad from the factory and nobody bothered to check it until the computer started misbehaving as a result of massive hard drive corruption caused by the bad RAM. :D

Sorry--bad joke on my part. Like when folks remember the good ol' days when they started on a Commodore 64--I tell 'em I started out on a 65. Just a number joke...

This is in no way shape or form a duplicate post.

Last edited:
Sorry--bad joke on my part. Like when folks remember the good ol' days when they started on a Commodore 64--I tell 'em I started out on a 65. Just a number joke...

Jokes aside, I had tons of clients who wanted a link for the download to upgrade from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

Back