1000Hz Whine through interface/monitors?

Vespyro

Okay, so I've got a problem regarding a whine through my monitors.

I'm running my MBox 2 from my desktop PC to my monitors and getting a whine at almost exactly 1000Hz.
Strange thing is, the whining only occurs when an application using audio is open, i.e. briefly whenever a windows sound plays or constantly when any DAW is open.

This obviously doesn't happen at all when I'm using the same setup but having the interface plugged into my laptop on battery power.

Is there a way I can cut or at least minimise this noise? I was thinking perhaps a USB hub would solve the issue.
Or perhaps is there a grounding issue within my pc itself? Is this maybe reduced with a firewire interface?

Would really some some opinions/info on this topic!

Thanks in advance.

-V

Strange you mention this because after reinstalling Stylus RMX a couple days ago, it started doing a similar thing.

The only difference was that on my system the tone played in regular period intervals of about a second each when the play button on Stylus RMX was pushed. It was the only audio program that had this problem. Very strange.

Cheers :)

I had a similar issue with my old dell. It was a nightmare and i got rid of it.

I never had the issue with any mains powered interfaces though. (motu 828, digi 003).
Just interfaces that were usb bus powered.

I noticed that if i plugged an rca cable into the mbox spdif, and the other end into spdif on digi 003 (not firewire connected) the buzz went away again.

I figured that fixed it cos I created a path to mains ground.

I made up a cable for myself to remedy the buzz, but I'm not gona recommend that to anyone.

If you have a preamp or other interface that's mains powered, you could plug an rca cable into it and the other end in your mbox just to see though.

Do all the usual first.
Try a different mains outlet for your laptop.
Turn off fluorescent lighting.
Make sure your monitor cables are balanced
Move the laptop transformer away to see if that helps.
Try a different usb port and usb lead.
Borrow a usb hub and try it; Who knows.

Does the noise print to your recordings or is it just a playback thing?

Hey thanks for the replies,|

@Mo Facta - That is very strange and somewhat similar.

@Steenamaroo - I have been trying to eliminate any other options that could be causing it but it seems to be tracking back to my Mbox.
I may give the RCA cable thing a go, who knows right?

And no it doesn't print to recording, it's just a playback thing.

Going to grab myself a USB hub in the next few days and I'll see what happens.

I may pick up another interface to try that out as well, see if I can rule out my interface having a leakage problem.

Thanks.
-V

After several days of experimenting, I finally got rid of the interface whine.
Very simple (as me).
On my system, there was a PA for rehearsal and a smaller PA used as a drum monitor and mic mixer in the drum alcove.
Just putting three prong/two two prong adapters cured the problem of the ground loop!

Back