TASCAM Wallpaper

I started to tackle the TEAC Z series of decks about a year ago and only covered the 5000 model due to a shortage of decent larger images on the two higher decks. Anyway, I found a semi-decent shot of the Z-7000 model that was repairable enough to do it justice.

Anyway, here's the Z-7000...

View attachment 90404

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

I was never much of a Nakamichi fan because their decks always seemed way too expensive and didn't like the way some recordings made on a Nak wouldn't play back right on other equipment. I heard that they addressed that issue at some point though after they caught enough shit for it, I guess?

Anyway, if I was every impressed with any of their models, it would have to be this next one, the RX-505 which had that fancy UDAR tape flipping auto reverse system. A really unusual design that would turn the tape shell around via a motorized turntable system. Impressive at those 80's coke parties, I'm sure! :laughings:

View attachment 90448

Been meaning to add this next one in for same time now as I've been collecting pics of the TEAC 3300 series reel to reel decks but never found one really worthy of being shown here. Anyway, here's the A-3300SX which is the rarer half track stereo deck that runs at 15 IPS and is still a viable choice in my opinion as a decent bare bones mastering deck.

View attachment 90456

The Z-6000 & 7000 are incredible!
:spank::eek:;)

Yeah, I've always had a love for those decks but never got closer then owning a V-800X, I considered it as the "Baby Zee" because it sounded almost as good and shared very similar cosmetics. I've done a wallpaper on that one here a few years ago but it was a smaller sized image that I posted of it at that time. So here's an updated wallpaper of it in the 1920x1080 format...

View attachment 90472

This next one is definitely a "Frankenstein" project as not only do the items in this picture not exist photographically at the specific angles they appear in, but also they don't appear together anywhere else but right here! Now, why did I choose to do this for an oddball item such as a recording timer? I guess I just found these to be cool little gadgets and Pioneer had the coolest looking ones that they adapted over the years to blend in with the current cosmetics of whatever else they were building for a particular model year. So the DT-500 model pictured here was made available in no less then 5 different cosmetic versions with all the features remaining identical.

View attachment 90488

Had this one sitting on my hard drive for the past year and didn't get around to doing anything with it because the unit was in really bad shape with heavily pitted and chipped paint and with hundreds of cuts and scrapes on the leatherette covering. It required almost a complete digital paint job to fix it and today was the day, I guess.

Anyway, here's a classic TR-90 full track mono portable field recorder from EMI. There's also a mating pre-amp unit which is of a similar shape and size but I haven't come across the right image of that yet to work on.

View attachment 90528

Last edited:
Getting back to component oscilloscopes for a moment, I've been doing more hunting around for interesting models from some different manufactures and found some from Panasonic, Technics, Sony and McIntosh units! And of that bunch, the most elegant looking one by far was the McIntosh MI-3 which has a black glass front panel instead of the usual brushed aluminum or black metal finish that everyone else was using. This model was also introduced in 1967 which is a few years before many of the other players got into the scope game.

View attachment 90537

Older mixers. I've covered a few by Ampex, Teac, TASCAM and Shure but nothing from one of the biggest giants in the industry, RCA! Indeed for a number of decades from the 20's to the 60's, RCA actually made a lot of pro gear for the studio and radio world. Anyway, here's a nice example of their handy-work from the mid 50's, the BC-6B studio console board...

View attachment 90597

I think this will be the final deck from Pioneer that I do as after 1984, they started to go backwards in their construction standards. So, to me, the CT-A9 represents about the best possible overall specs, design and features which included Dolby C, music search and real time tape counter above what the CT-F1250 offered.

Anyway, here's the Pioneer CT-A9 from 1984...

View attachment 90607

^ Thanks Dave! :)

Sometimes they didn't even make them at all in the first place! Case in Point, Radio Shack's line of Realistic cassette decks over the years; they borrowed designs from Technics, Sanyo, Sony, Teac and even Hitachi. And in 1979, they put out a deck called the SCT-30 which was their first dual capstan, 3 head deck with very respectable specs. This deck is just a slight cosmetic variation of the Hitachi D-850. For those that know or have forgotten by now, Hitachi brought us Maxell tape!

Anyway, here's the Realistic SCT-30...

View attachment 90643

Back in the late 80's when I had a TEAC A3340S, the mixer I used with it was the TASCAM M-106 and I really liked it because of how clean and quiet it was and also liked the routing flexibility and the way it sounded. I've been meaning to add the M-106 to the thread here but never took any pics of mine when I owned it and the offerings of images on the web have been pretty sparse and/or of poor quality. Anyway, I managed to find a half decent image earlier today of one in reasonable shape and transformed it into the following wallpaper.

View attachment 90673

In 2014, "DNR" means Do Not Resuscitate. Forty years ago in 1974, it stood for something completely different! :D

I covered the TEAC AN-300 four channel Dolby noise reduction unit but there were certainly other companies also making them and perhaps oddest of them all was Realistic, who offered up a model called the DNR-1. This was only a two channel model but with a retail price of only $99.95, buying two of them would have been cheaper then trying to buy just one TEAC unit.

Anyway, from 1974, here's the Realistic beastie!

View attachment 90684

Every once in a while I stumble upon something rare from TASCAM that either I didn't know existed or thought I'd never find a decent picture of to showcase here. Anyway, while looking for something else all together, I discovered a pic of the S1010M powered monitors! These were mentioned as an add on accessory for the 133- 3 track cassette deck in their 1991 pocket guide book and virtually nowhere else! Anyway, the pic I found of them needed a lot of hamburger helper to fix it up but I think I managed to salvage it respectfully....

View attachment 90805

The original image can be found here:

Tascam s 1010M Stereo Powered Reference Mini Monitor Pair Vintage | eBay

Next up: another Dolby unit from TEAC. This one, their top of the line stereo unit from the early 70's, the AN-180. What makes this unit different from their lower models? It was designed specifically for 3 head open reel decks and offers full 20-20Khz frequency response compared to a 15Khz bandwidth on the other units and it also offered microphone inputs so that you could make live recordings with noise reduction and without needing to have an external mixer. It's also a full double Dolby system so that you can encode and decode live off the play head. Lower end models lacked that functionality.

Anyway, here she be with my own custom add-on side panels...

View attachment 90845

Another day, another warrior from the war on tape hiss. Here's the lesser brother of the AN-180 from TEAC, the AN-80. This one was a Frankenstein creation as there's virtually no usable shots of this unit on the interwebz. So, the faceplate came from a Yamaha power amp, the knobs from a TEAC crossover from the same era, the toggle switches from a Pioneer amp and all the lettering and lines drawn by yours truly. The only real element is the Vu meter which was salvaged from an ebay pic that was usable with a lot of perspective correction! :D

Anyway, here she be...

View attachment 90861

Came across an interesting item from Sony yesterday, a stereo analog compressor from 1999. What's interesting about this unit is that it not only has standard compression features but also has dynamic expansion capabilities and their own version of an Aphex aural exciter/BBE type effect. From what I could tell, this model was primarily only offered for the Japan market. Anyway, I found one for sale on evil bay and had some decent segmented pics of it that I was able to stitch together and shape shift to get everything to fit...

View attachment 90884

Back