Tascam 424MKIII - Came in 2 Colors? (Lake Placid Blue? and Black)

analog aaron

Swami King of Poppers
Hi Guys,

Something not so important..........

I have 2 Tascam 424MKIII's. 1 is Solid Black and 1 is the more common "Lake Placid Blue" color. I've been looking
online out of curiosity to see if I can find info or more pictures of another Black one but I can't find much. Was this a special limited run or something? It's not a big deal, because both units are exactly the same, but I'm Just curious if anyone else has seen this?

All the ones I've ever seen were the blue one! Was the black one designed for a different market, maybe? Like Japan or Europe?

Looks cool in black, btw!

Cheers! :)

I have no clue. I was surfing ebay about a year ago and this black one popped up with a really nice Tascam Bag/Backback for $99 free shipping. The only bad thing is: It didn't come with a power supply, but it didn't matter, I already have the power supply for my blue one. I didn't really NEED to buy this per say, but I'd never seen another one like it so I went for it. Glad I did. When I got it, it literally looked unused and performed flawlessly.

I think if you poke around some of the foreign ebay sites from Japan, China, different EU countries etc and do a search for the 424 Mk III, you'll probably discover which market the black one was intended for. And that would also explain why yours didn't come with the AC adapter, because the voltage would have been wrong for the US market. Maybe someone in the military who was stationed abroad brought it back home with him. ;)

Cheers! :)

That is definitely a possibility! Weird thing is: It has the same Pin config for the power on the back and the "U.S." version power supply works fine with it.

Yes, black for the Japanese market.

I saw the black one go up on auction, and I thought about it,... but as I already have 5 of the blue ones (& power supplies),... and limited cash,... I had to pass. Black is sharp, tho! ;)

I'd say just get a power supply for it,... appx. $45 from Tascam Parts.

The DIN type pinouts on the back of the unit will all be the same, as it's the transformer build in the cord itself that changes for other voltages/markets, and the DIN end of the plug supplies regulated DC power to the unit.

Occasionally I'll see a Porta02mkII in black on eBay, but I don't think I've ever seen a black 414mkII. The black 424mkIII is cool!

:spank::eek:;)

The blue of that particular line is good, but...

it's nice to have a few different colors. Seems kind of festive and fun.
:spank::eek:;)

Back