Which would you prefer? SoundCraft 200B VS TASCAM M-216

Cye3212

Hey guys!

So I got a SC 200B and a TASCAM m-216 laying around and I'm trying to decide which one to keep for the home studio. What're your guys' thoughts on these two consoles?

I know the 200B is a fan favorite to mod but I'm not really gonna invest the time to do that anytime soon, maybe very basic and/or quick ones but that would be it. The sound from the 200B is pretty nice to my ears as it is although convenience-wise I dislike having to repatch my tape machine every time I switch from tracking to mixdown - although I think there's a way to leave the 8 track connected to both the tape returns and line inputs so I don't need to repatch? Also the EQ on this particular 200B does not have the sweepable mids which is a bit of deal breaker for me.

The M-216 is a pretty basic board but it has all the convenience that I'd like (discrete tape inputs for tracking/monitoring/mixdown and a smaller size profile overall) along with sweepable mids but the sound does not feel all that lively compared to the 200B. Then again I haven't fully learned the ins-and-outs of either machine yet... I know the TASCAM 200 series is the budget line of mixers but it may be good enough for my purposes - a "rough around the edges" sort of sound for a small home studio.

I'll be running these mixers alongside my TASCAM 688 recorder which will part of a hybrid analog/digital recording setup with a DAW. The onboard mixer for the 688 seems pretty good although I am not sure if it is good enough to the point where I don't need any external mix boards - I recently just acquired it so I haven't really tested it out.

I am pretty green to analog mix boards so your guys' personal opinions on these two would be pretty helpful in deciding what more to compare and consider.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks ya'll,

Cye

The Tascam M-216 was not one of the best Tascam models. And I own a Tascam M3700 (different league to the M-216).

I have used Soundcraft 200B's in a live situation many years ago and I really love Soundcraft EQ.

Alan.

Back