When will this Portastudio bubble burst?

Yeah, that's true. I found some 1990's TDK SA-X blanks that were in great condition for 10cents each last summer at a thrift store in Brooklyn. I bought em all and went home and put em in to see if they were still okay. One of them had an argument between two people taped on side 1 and I used snippets of it in a song I recorded. That's my only score though.

Yeah, that's true. I found some 1990's TDK SA-X blanks that were in great condition for 10cents each last summer at a thrift store in Brooklyn. I bought em all and went home and put em in to see if they were still okay. One of them had an argument between two people taped on side 1 and I used snippets of it in a song I recorded. That's my only score though.

Maybe they were arguing over which was best, digital or tape.:facepalm:

Alan

Neat toys but not all that inspiring.

Yeah...that's always been my view. Their the kind of recorder you want to take on some vacation or weekend at your buddies house just to flush out some ideas...but I've never understood why people think they would make good for even semi-serious recording.
Granted...cassettes are cheap, open real tape is not (and neither are the decent R2R multi-tracks)...but still, it seems some people who could choose to and afford to go either way...still talk about porta-studio stuff as though it has some special "magic"...when it's really just cassette tape noise. :D ;)

Meh...to each his own.
Use what makes you happy. :thumbs up:

I started out with a cheap porta one, then moved on up to a 246. I still have some multitrack tapes but it was shit music. Not even worthy of getting a machine and transferring.

Some times I look back with nostalgia and long for a good working 246, but thats really all it is, nostalgia. Now don't get me wrong, if one fell into my lap for peanuts, I'd probably get it for the fun of it, but not for serious work.

Im sure many have made that leap for smilar reasons.

As much as I may miss the "good ole days" of my youth cruising around on my Stingray, I've long since graduated to cars and I ain't going back. (Haha, you gotta have some grey hairs to know what a stingray is.:D )

All said and done, whatever one enjoys working on for whatever reason, it's all good. :thumbs up:

Back