What it was like when vintage was new

B

Beck

While sharing in Daniels joy over his super condition 388 I started reminiscing about back in the day when we bought this stuff new.

One memory that stays with me more than others for some reason is when I bought a brand new Tascam M-216 mixer new around 1989/1990 (I still have it). There's nothing like peeling away the box and plastic (well, except sex I guess). I happened upon this site that will give you an idea.

It's in Japanese but the pictures tell the story. He basically says how he got the mixer in pristine condition and that it had been stored for some time in the box. He then goes on to describe some of the features and finally the specs.

Anyway guys, there is quite a bit of like-new stuff in someone’s attic or celler just waiting for a second life. A lot of it ends up on eBay. So keep looking and have fun. :)

http://www.hifido.co.jp/merumaga/040528/osu.html

I guess I am spoiled a bit, working in the consumer electronics industry for the past 25 years in various higher end audio salons, I've opened up countless thousands of boxes and packed up an equal amount when floor models were sold off. Even still, there is a unique buzz to openg up a "virgin"; especially when she belongs to you! :D

Cheers! :)

"What it was like when vintage was new"

It was, like, expensive. Real expensive.

And I still have some of it. I added a 2" 24 track that I could not afford then and still track analog. When I die, I am going to have my MCI gutted and use it for a coffin. I would love to see the look on the faces of the attendees at my funeral being buried in an MCI machine!

Ha-ha!
Let's see the digital heads try that! A body simply will not fit in a pro-tools rig!

Ha by looking at my dad it's going to happen one day anyway.. Something I need to get mentally prepared for :|

Back