What happened to Beck ?

lonewhitefly

Love him or hate him, he was probably objectively the biggest contributor to this forum. Not to discredit all of the other heavyweight contributors :) ... (but I don't think you all would disagree!)

He's on a lifetime ban, last I heard.

Got a bit too upset over Ghost's ban a few weeks back (which was very temporary), and before they even lifted Ghost's ban, he threatened to quit and demanded HR remove all his "constitutions" to the forums, citing "intellectual property"...but I guess he forgot the rules under which HR operates, where everything you type here is their property. :)
He then threatened HR with legal action, AFIK, and got hot about it with the mods/admins, so that was the end of that.

I think he wanted out anyway...and chose "suicide by banning", with no need to offer any explanations for the departure....
...but that's just my opinion.

He's on a lifetime ban, last I heard.

Got a bit too upset over Ghost's ban a few weeks back (which was very temporary), and before they even lifted Ghost's ban, he threatened to quit and demanded HR remove all his "constitutions" to the forums, citing "intellectual property"...but I guess he forgot the rules under which HR operates, where everything you type here is their property. :)
He then threatened HR with legal action, AFIK, and got hot about it with the mods/admins, so that was the end of that.

I think he wanted out anyway...and chose "suicide by banning", with no need to offer any explanations for the departure....
...but that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't say he wanted to be banned as I have no idea what was in his mind and heart about that specifically.

I am still very sad and bothered by what took place and especially so because he was standing up for me in my hour of need and feel horrible that him doing so led to his banning here. It's definitely not what I or anyone else wanted to see happen.

Tim was a bit of a hot head though. If the mods here would have known that before they pulled the trigger on him, I'm sure things could have worked out better with something like a shorter, non-permanent ban but I guess my opinion on that along with 50 cents still won't buy me a cup of coffee. :(

Cheers! :)

Why was he temporarily banned in the first place?

Ghost can explain that...but it was one of those silly Prime Time threads. I don't even remember what it was about.

I wouldn't say he wanted to be banned as I have no idea what was in his mind and heart about that specifically.

I don't think he wanted to be banned,..but he was fading away on this forum, and he made some posts about his disappointment in the level of intelligent conversations, etc...like he was saying he wanted to talk about other things, but there was no one here to do it with, or no place here.
Well...it's an audio forum...and Prime Time is the only non-audio outlet here, and it's more about entertainment than high-brow discourse. :D

So...I just feel that he was burned out with the usual analog/tape discussions, and looking to move on, without "officially" moving on. Your temp ban was like a spark that set him off, and then he went "all in" and used that as his exit card.

Not to mention (and I don't know for sure, just my observation)...I get the feeling that he was getting on in years. You know, that post-retirement age where the little conversations are just not that important any more, not to mention, I don't believe he was doing any actual recording or music for some time. He talked about having a home-rec setup...but I've been here six years, and I never heard a single note from him, which is odd when someone talks about having a home-rec setup for recording...
...just sayin.

Ghost can explain that...but it was one of those silly Prime Time threads. I don't even remember what it was about.

I don't think he wanted to be banned,..but he was fading away on this forum, and he made some posts about his disappointment in the level of intelligent conversations, etc...like he was saying he wanted to talk about other things, but there was no one here to do it with, or no place here.
Well...it's an audio forum...and Prime Time is the only non-audio outlet here, and it's more about entertainment than high-brow discourse. :D

So...I just feel that he was burned out with the usual analog/tape discussions, and looking to move on, without "officially" moving on. Your temp ban was like a spark that set him off, and then he went "all in" and used that as his exit card.

Not to mention (and I don't know for sure, just my observation)...I get the feeling that he was getting on in years. You know, that post-retirement age where the little conversations are just not that important any more, not to mention, I don't believe he was doing any actual recording or music for some time. He talked about having a home-rec setup...but I've been here six years, and I never heard a single note from him, which is odd when someone talks about having a home-rec setup for recording...
...just sayin.

Yeah I remember asking him a long time ago about wanting to hear something he'd recorded. He said something about making a conscious decision to not share his music/recordings on this forum, though I can't remember a specific reason.

He helped me out several times on things, and I'm sad to see him go for sure.

That's the trouble with forums, you see it happen all the time. The mods have this knife edge balance between editing, removing, policing and sentencing, and it never goes well. People seem to vanish here from time to time, and in all fairness, we can't expect the mods to start top reveal too much about what happens. Some people are anonymous on the net, while others easy to find - so saying things in public can get joined up. Scary really.

Back