what frequency does the 388 hiss at?

mr.blisset

So from understanding tape hiss varies across different tape sizes and formats . . . what are peoples go-to frequencies for adding highs on the way in to cut later to reduce hiss?

Please don't say use dbx as I really don't like using Dbx all that much.

I've been having good results at 10k, just wondering if anyone has analyzed this further? Would hate to be cutting earlier than I need to be.

I would play your different tapes, unrecorded and with record circuit, in your DAWs spectrum analyzer. That will show each tapes range of noise

Tape hiss is 'White Noise' and of itself does not have a 'frequency' but replay EQ an speakers/cans will colour it (the seashell effect).

Many, many years ago Philips came up with the 'Dynamic Noise Limiter'. This was an attempt to get around the Dolby patents.

The DNL was incredibly simple, effectively a voltage controlled LP filter that reduced HF at lower signal levels. Simple it might have been but it was remarkably effective. I bet there is a software equivalent somewhere?

Of course, "hiss" is not a problem to me, I use a computer....I'll get me coat....

Dave.

My fist cassette "deck" had a filter before Dolby came around. I think that was 10k Other decks had lower filters.

I don't think the old DBX is all that great, but I find it very good across different formats as long as it is calibrated

Back