What to do if a unit doesn't come with a power supply? (TASCAM Portastudio 07)

Brandon T

There's one for sale missing the power supply, will generic ones work with it? I tried researching this a bit but still can't really find an answer.

If it has the same voltage/polarity will it be fine?

Hi Brandon,
Voltage, polarity, and current.
If the original supply was, for example 1000mA, then you'd need to at least match that.

At a glance it looks like you want 12V 2A with positive on the pin, but don't quote me; I just did a quick google.

Yeah, something like that should be easy enough. An MSR-24 with lots of different power buses, that's hard.

A quick image search seems to specify a PS-P2. As it happens, I have a PS-P2 handy and it says 12v, centre negative at 500mA. A linear supply (with transformer) might be your best bet.
Coincidentally, the first thing I found when searching for Tascam Porta 07, was a replacement power adaptor for £10 off ebay...

Porta Studios and I have actually built my own power supply for some people is not difficult. What needs to be determined is what kind and amplitude of voltage is needed. Even getting a picture of the specs of an original power supply can be sufficient. Any good technician can put one together and you do NOT need to be a BSEE to do this as it is on such a low level of technology. The one I built needed a couple or windings of 10Vac and then the unit itself did the rectification and filtering. The hardest part was to find a picture of the original supply and to determine the pin outs. It can be done as I have done it and my units although not as small was not only more reliable but easy to fix.

Back