what to do?

antispatula

Ok, so I've got a fostex r8 and an otari mx5050 8 track 1/2".

The fostex r8 uses 1/4" and has 8 tracks, goes for around 250 on ebay

the otari uses 1/2" and has 8 tracks, goes for around 700-800 on ebay.

I got the otari for 100. I'm scared of maintinance on the otari, seeing how huge it is, and how expensive it will be if something happenends to it. But I want my recordings to sound good. I want to only have one though. Do you think I should sell the fostex or the otari? Thanks!

antispatula said:
Ok, so I've got a fostex r8 and an otari mx5050 8 track 1/2".

The fostex r8 uses 1/4" and has 8 tracks, goes for around 250 on ebay

the otari uses 1/2" and has 8 tracks, goes for around 700-800 on ebay.

I got the otari for 100. I'm scared of maintinance on the otari, seeing how huge it is, and how expensive it will be if something happenends to it. But I want my recordings to sound good. I want to only have one though. Do you think I should sell the fostex or the otari? Thanks!

If you keep the fostex, good luck finding parts or any type of support from Fostex. Also, the Fostex is not nearly as reliable as the Otari and doesn't sound as good. Hell, you've got an Otari for peanuts and I'm kind of puzzled about your rather negative attitude. Do you realize what type of machine you've got in the Otari 8 track, how much it retailed for originally and that you scored it for around the cost of an sm57 mic ? Anyway, just like a car the Otari should get regular maintanance, which DOES cost money, but that's only to be expected. Anyway, sell the Fostex.

~Daniel

Keep the Otari.
It sounds different than the Fostex.
Has a bump at about 100 hz that kills.

Just running the signal through the pres does stuff to the sound that is pleasing.

You'll see.

Well my atitude is unless you really need the money why sell any of it.

It never hurts to have a spare sitting around. ;)

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 70
^HAHAHAHA!

Yeah, it's not that I have a negative attitude, it's that I barely had enough money as it is to get it for 100 bucks. I'm only 16, I don't get all that money. I do have a job, but I only work like 6-12 hours a week, on minimum wage, so it's kind of tough, I don't know how on earth I'm going to pay for maintenance to be done. For example, someone told me I need to like reverse the ring and tip of the xlr cables that I plug into the input, because the machine is balanced or something. For someone relatively new to all this, that makes no sense :p

antispatula said:
^HAHAHAHA!

Yeah, it's not that I have a negative attitude, it's that I barely had enough money as it is to get it for 100 bucks. I'm only 16, I don't get all that money. I do have a job, but I only work like 6-12 hours a week, on minimum wage, so it's kind of tough, I don't know how on earth I'm going to pay for maintenance to be done. For example, someone told me I need to like reverse the ring and tip of the xlr cables that I plug into the input, because the machine is balanced or something. For someone relatively new to all this, that makes no sense :p

hey. I agree with Daniel. there are scores and scores of threads here and on other forums on the mx5050 you have, on all the topics you could ever need in regards to maintenance, troubleshooting, and setup. there are also scores of PEOPLE using these. AND...you can still get parts. not so true with the fostex.

maybe find someone in your local area (a generous guitar shop owner, or old electronics parts store clerk willing to help a poor kid out---it happens) to take at least a superficial look at it to make sure it doesn't have any fatal problems. if it is a go, or just needs minor or routine work, then sell the fostex and use (or save) the money for fixing/maintaining the otari.

sure, its a big machine compared to the fostex, but its a big upgrade, too. and its not THAT big (not like a washing machine-sized 1" or 2" machine anyway). and 1/2" tape is still fairly reasonable, again, not like making the jump to 1" or 2".

--doris

XLR jacks made before 1993 are usually pin 3 hot so you will need to rewire your cables if you by new ones.

Today's equipment with +4 jacks and today's cables are pin 2 hot.
So if you get new cables you can open the end that is going to connect to the Otari, detach the wires from pins 2 and 3, reverse the wires and resolder them.

If your board is rca i/o then here are some options:

get 2 snakes:
xlr female to rca x 8
rca to xlr male x 8
There are places on the web that will make a custom snakes with the pins reversed on one end.

or the same thing except buy individual cables and have your guitar store rewire the xlr ends. You can get 2 cables at first if your limited budget, one male and one female, so you can test all the tracks.

Well then thats a whole differant story. I know a lot of you will think Im nuts here but I vote to keep the R8 if its in good operating condition.
For a young guy that doesnt have alot of bread floating around.
The R8 is going to be cheaper and easier to use. Its going to be easier to move around. The R8 actually does sound pretty good with dolby c.
And if you can get 6 to 8 hundred out of your otari then that will pay for what at least 2 more R8s if the one you have breaks or pays for some nice outboard gear or a good mic or two. The cords thing alone is a plus for the R8.

antispatula said:
^HAHAHAHA!

In a few years or so, when you're making better $$, you'll come to realize that it was better not to sell the Otari. Then you'll regret it big time. I say keep it.

~Daniel

This is a no brainer, an Otari is a pro machine, very reliable. The Fostex is an amateur/prosumer machine, parts are hardly to find or not available. Headwear of the Fostex goes ten times faster than on the Otari.

Keep'm both or get rid of the Fostex.

mikemorgan said:
I think They're dissin' your R8s Herm

There's nothing wrong with an R8 but when someone asks whether to sell the R8 or the Otari 8 track, then picking the former in kinda a no brainer. It's certainly not meant to be a diss toward the R8 and even more so, Herm. ;)

~Daniel

Cjacek asked about the connectors:

XLR cable has three wires hooked to pin 1, pin2 & pin 3.
All of the new cables on the market for us home recorders are pin1 ground, pin 2 hot, pin 3 cold.

Otari mx5050 1/2 8 track that is pre 1993 has XLR ins & outs that are wired pin 1 ground, pin 2 cold, and pin 3 hot.

I have one hooked to a mackie 2408 and had to have XRL/TRS1/4" balanced snakes made with the pin 2 & pin 3 wires switched on the XLR side in order for it to work with the mackie.

I don't know why they changed the connector standard after 1993, but one of these analog historians that are members here would probably know.

reel buzzer said:
Cjacek asked about the connectors:

XLR cable has three wires hooked to pin 1, pin2 & pin 3.
All of the new cables on the market for us home recorders are pin1 ground, pin 2 hot, pin 3 cold.

Otari mx5050 1/2 8 track that is pre 1993 has XLR ins & outs that are wired pin 1 ground, pin 2 cold, and pin 3 hot.

I have one hooked to a mackie 2408 and had to have XRL/TRS1/4" balanced snakes made with the pin 2 & pin 3 wires switched on the XLR side in order for it to work with the mackie.

I don't know why they changed the connector standard after 1993, but one of these analog historians that are members here would probably know.

Very interesting. Didn't know this.

Obviously this is a mute point if one was to get a pre '93 mixer, correct ?

Thanks,

Daniel

Yea they just dont know who they are dealing with do they Mike? ;)

So mike, Are you and Kev going to do something or have you heard anything new from the boys?

Here is my understanding. I think that even back when the MX5050 was made it was still kind of an oddball thing to wire with pin 3 hot. It's just that at some point they made wiring pin 2 hot the standard. Most were doing it anyway. So most gear, even pre '93, will be pin 2 hot.

if you are only using that one machine and interfacing the otari with balanced gear then you might be able to get away with not modding any cables. I think the problems come when you are interfacing with unbalanced gear or when you are using multiple machines on one composition. as long as you stay within that machine it would be in phase with itself (it would be like flipping the phase on every channel on your board--it would sound the same). however, i seem to remember someone saying that the MX5050's I/O wasn't true balanced so the above may not apply. gee, glad i could clear things up... well, it wouldn't take any effort to hook it up with a regular pin 2 hot snake and see what happens.

--doris

Back