What is the difference between tape-width?

salida

I have noticed that some 16-track tapemachines use 1/2-inch tapes and other 16-track tapemachines use 1-inch tapes. What exactly is the difference?

1/2 inch :D But seriously the wider the tape the wider the track width which means more information on the tape with better sound.
some machines even run 16 tracks on 2 inch tape.

Ok. does that mean that you must have at least 2-inch tapes to make pro recordings?

Ok. does that mean that you must have at least 2-inch tapes to make pro recordings? Or do the smaller tapes sound good too?
Which sizes can a Fostex b-16 use?

salida said:
Ok. does that mean that you must have at least 2-inch tapes to make pro recordings? Or do the smaller tapes sound good too?
Which sizes can a Fostex b-16 use?

Depends what decade you live in. 2" 16-track was used on 'Dark Side of the Moon' and lots of other albums from that era. It was a natural extension of 1" 8-track which was introduced in the mid-60s and used on things like 'Court of the Crimson King', 'In A Gadda-Da-Vida', 'Atom Heart Mother' and some of the very early Genesis albums, I think. If I was overflowing with money, I'd get one of these myself. You don't need noise reduction with this format.

I don't know of any commercial albums done on 1" 16-track but it was a fairly popular 'small' format. ITAM, Otari and Tascam made machines which used it.
Use noise reduction or not, depending on how you feel.

Now 1/2" 16-track was cheap enough to be wildly popular. Lots of small studios used it on various popular albums. Enya used a Fostex E-16, as did many other people... in fact I think she still does. Most of Bill Nelson's albums were done on the B-16. Don't know what he uses now.
1/2" 16-track machines have built-in noise reduction.

Crosby, Stills Nash & Young "American Dream" on Nash's Fostex E-16.

Thanks... for that.

I´m looking to buy a 16 track and I have some different offers to choose from so thanks for the information. Keep posting if you have other tips...

jpmorris said:
Depends what decade you live in. 2" 16-track was used on 'Dark Side of the Moon' and lots of other albums from that era. It was a natural extension of 1" 8-track which was introduced in the mid-60s and used on things like 'Court of the Crimson King', 'In A Gadda-Da-Vida', 'Atom Heart Mother' and some of the very early Genesis albums, I think. If I was overflowing with money, I'd get one of these myself. You don't need noise reduction with this format.

Interesting side note; Everything on "Dark Side" was second generation. As far as 1/2 goes, Boston's first album was done on a TSR-8. I suspect there was a lot of high end outboard gear used as well, but still it goes to show that a pro album can be, at least in part, recorded on a recorder that for the most part was intended for the home market.

Boston would be the 80-8, so I've heard, as the TSR-8 wasn't made yet in 1976. But, to be accurate, according to Scholz he started with a Scully 12-track in his basement, but the 80-8 may have been in there somewhere because I keep hearing about it. Anyway, quite a music revolution he created with simple equipment. :)

"Scholz's basement laboratory is not a showplace of new high-tech gear, because Tom is no fan of digital equipment: "Anyplace you've got a microprocessor, you've got a disaster waiting to happen. I avoid them like the plague." This means analog tools wherever they work. The main multitrackers are two 3M M-79s, which Scholz uses to dupe his masters so he can wear out the copy. There's also a couple of Studers, his first Scully 12-track, and a Scully mixdown deck for mastering. This last is equipped with a special meter to precisely set the high frequency bias tone so he can take advantage of a notch in the signal-to-noise characteristics of Scotch 226 tape; this gives him exceptional low-noise, big headroom master mixes.

Incredibly, most of his recordings are fourth generation, which he gets away with by plenty of masking and gating. To sync his big decks together, Scholz tried an expensive SMPTE synchronizer, but found it had too much wow; now he syncs up by putting each deck on a side of his headphones and slowing the reel down with his hands so the sound is in the center of his head. His method of punching in and out is similarly low-tech: a bent coathanger to simultaneously hit the play and record buttons with his toe."

Musician Magazine, JAN 1987

I bought this issue of Musician shortly after “Third Stage” was released. It is very bad news (any Scholz interview is) for people who think they can purchase success with the latest wiz-bang at the local music store. :D

Last edited:
Beck's sig sums it up nicely.

In my experience, the skill and equipment it takes to get a "pro sound" our of a 2" machine is *really* difficult for a home recordist to achieve. In the grand scheme of things, a 1/2" 16 is probably going to give you more than enough quality. Your room, mics, preamps, mixer, etc. are likely more of a bottleneck than the 1/2" 16.

If you dropped a 2" 24 into that same setup it would certainly sound better, but it still wouldn't necessarily sound "pro."

My experience is also that a 1/2" 16 can sound better in the end than a 1/2" 8- IF you are bouncing tracks on the 8. 16 gives me enough room that I don't have to bounce, or I bounce *much* less, so the over all integrity of the recording stays higer despite the smaller track width.

The 1/2" 8 is sweet, though. :D

Take care,
Chris

Switching

I am switching from a digi001 Protools set-up. I have a very big room with cool ambience. I have always thought that digi001 was the only really cheap way to give me full control over what I record. But I´m lacking a bit of punch in my recordings. It´s like there´s more output to pro recordings and I´m guessing that it is due to bad converting from the digi001. That´s one of the reasons I´m switching to analog because I hope it will not lose any sound on the way to tape.
How should i gain the signals best? Through a mixing console or try some other pre-amp solution?
I love slightly distorted signals esp. on drums which has been virtualy impossible with the digi setup...

I´m lacking a bit of punch in my recordings. It´s like there´s more output to pro recordings and I´m guessing that it is due to bad converting from the digi001.
I'm not intimately familiar with the 001 but, if you're having problems with capturing dynamics, that is a problem that could migrate along with your change over to analog in that minding your levels and making proper use of compression is an engineering skill that is applicable to both disciplines.

Recording to analog will give you more headroom without noticeable clipping on wider format tape machines and especially so on those that do not apply noise reduction like dbx that allow for traditional analog soft clipping into the upper signal levels above 0vu on the meters but, if you're not careful, you can still screw up your punch and dynamics by not adjusting your compressor settings and recording levels.

Switching to analog should be done by those who are craving the sonic character that true analog can bring in terms of the unique frequency response curves that vary from machine to machine along with their thicker sound canvas that captures more detail at the higher end formats of track width and speed. It can also be a far reliable format of archiving your recording for lifetime access without running into the current problems of digital formats which can change like the weather and leave you and your data files like a beggar in the desert.

Cheers! :)

Punch

I realize that minding your dynamics when recording is important both in Digital AND analog recording. But getting a punchy drum sound and vocals has been a problem for me and I find that compressing drums before recording onto tape (or computer for that matter) is very difficult due to attack and release settings. I often end up killing whatever punch is there when I set the attack to react right away... This problem with recording with enough punch has not only occurred on my homestudio recordings. I also recorded in a pro studio onto a Lyrec 24 track analog using very expensive mic´s. That´s why I want an analog recorder of my own so that I can keep trying over and over again without having to pay 100 bucks an hour in some fancy studio... I love the drum sound on Primus "the brown album" it was recorded onto tape by Les Claypool "the bassplayer" himself and mixed to. It has the punch of any pro record on every instrument...

The Ghost of FM said:
I'm not intimately familiar with the 001 but, if you're having problems with capturing dynamics, that is a problem that could migrate along with your change over to analog in that minding your levels and making proper use of compression is an engineering skill that is applicable to both disciplines.

Recording to analog will give you more headroom without noticeable clipping on wider format tape machines and especially so on those that do not apply noise reduction like dbx that allow for traditional analog soft clipping into the upper signal levels above 0vu on the meters but, if you're not careful, you can still screw up your punch and dynamics by not adjusting your compressor settings and recording levels.

Switching to analog should be done by those who are craving the sonic character that true analog can bring in terms of the unique frequency response curves that vary from machine to machine along with their thicker sound canvas that captures more detail at the higher end formats of track width and speed. It can also be a far reliable format of archiving your recording for lifetime access without running into the current problems of digital formats which can change like the weather and leave you and your data files like a beggar in the desert.

Cheers! :)
Come on now, you didn't say WHICH desert. ;)

Last edited:
primus

I thought rancho relaxo was a digital studio? I thought i read at the time primus was using digital because it was cheaper.

salida said:
I love the drum sound on Primus "the brown album" it was recorded onto tape by Les Claypool "the bassplayer" himself and mixed to. It has the punch of any pro record on every instrument...

Ah Yes, Mr Claypool loved his Tascam 388, the first Primus album was recorded on it!

Beck, (Re: Boston) my bad, I meant the 80-8 :)

Rancho Relaxo

Do any of you know of Rancho Relaxo? I only read very little about it in context with the recording of The Brown Album. I read that for that record they only used old analog stuff. But if anyone knows about this studio I would love to hear something...

EDAN said:
Interesting side note; Everything on "Dark Side" was second generation. As far as 1/2 goes, Boston's first album was done on a TSR-8. I suspect there was a lot of high end outboard gear used as well, but still it goes to show that a pro album can be, at least in part, recorded on a recorder that for the most part was intended for the home market.

Boston's first album was done on a Scully 8 track converted by Tom Schultz to a 12 track. He still has, and uses this machine.

Back