What is the condition of these Tape Heads? PHOTO

diskobox

Hello,

can anybody tell me what condition these tape heads are in on this Fostex R8?

cheers! Ian

IMG_2668.jpg

Well, that's the erase head which has a much flatter profile and they tend to wear at a slower rate.

Yeah, the pic makes it hard to tell but the lifters don't have a lot of wear on them. I'd cuatiously offer my opinion that they've got a lot of life in them.

How do these heads look?

Same question, how do these heads look?

Images hopefully attached.

Thanks!
Ham

Attachments

• DSC_0950.jpg
    DSC_0950.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0949.jpg
    DSC_0949.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0947.jpg
    DSC_0947.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 72
Yes definitely clean the rollers and the heads. When they are that dirty it could start to affect the record and repro levels. 99% alcohol with a cotton swab or makeup remover pads.

Cool as, will do. The heads are just a bit dirty though huh? Do they still have plenty of life in them? I used some new tape on there when they were that dirty, is the tape ruined?

Thanks,
Ham

The tape path doesn't seem to have a lot of wear on it, just very dirty. As was advised, clean it with alcohol (at least 90%) and cotton make-up removal pads (best). Always clean the heads in the direction of the tracks. It's OK to use a bit of pressure. Expect to clean ALL of the areas the tape touches, the guides, tape lifters, capstan... If the rubber roller is hard (not sticky) then you can clean it first using some alcohol but you will need to follow-up with some rubber conditioner. Look for MG Chemicals Rubber Renue, which I feel is the best stuff but use in a well ventilated area. BTW, your new tape should be fine.

Back