what cassette?

james123

Teenager from mars
hi guys i just bought a cheap yamaha mt2x off ebay and im waiting for it to arrive i also downloaded the owners manual and read something about what cassette's to use but i dont have a clue what it is talking about
quote from user manual

'this unit is designed to be used with only chrome postition tape, and will not work properly with ferri chrome formulations, cro2 tape (bias; high;eq;70us )should be used...'
could someone please explain in english what sort of cassette i should use ? would a standard cassette be allright ?
at the moment i have no idea so all help would be very usefull
thanks

Hey james123, I have a Yamaha MT50 4-track cassette (I got it new in about 9 years ago)...its manual recommends using Maxell XLII cassette tapes (on the outside of the tape case it reads "High Bias, IEC TYPE II, EQ 70 us (the "u" isn't quite an exact looking u, but close)...this sounds like the type of tape you will need. Although Maxell is a good brand and that is what I use, you can probably find high bias ("high bias" is the key phrase you need to look for) tape by Sony, Memorex, and TDK (and maybe some others but I would stick with a well known brand though)....these are regular looking cassettes and can often be found in department stores (though I have found that the 60 minutes sizes are getting hard to find; the manual for my machine allows for use of 90 minutes cassettes, which I have had no problem finding), if you need less than 90 minute cassettes (see the manual for your machine) then you might have to look around and on the internet (I did find some 60 minute Maxell XLII at a music store about a year ago that I used for mix-downs).

Maxell XLII,...

TDK SA
TDK SA-X
TDK CD-Power
Sony UX Pro
TDK SM

And some others that I can't remember offhand. I'll have to scope my storage tote full of over 200 brand new Type II cassettes,...7 get back to'ya! (I know Maxell has a "pro" cassette, but can't remember the model #)
I think it was "Maxell MA-" (will verify)

I'll get back to this thread, later!!! ;)

Back