Well this sucks....... It works!!!!

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
I bought a "for parts " Portastudio 424 and then bought another so I could make two into one. Well the first one came the other day and I fired it up. At first the tape player stopped twice after trying to record for a couple seconds. After that, it worked fine........ Now what am I going to do the rest of the summer.......

I might be able to find some gear you can work on...Ampex MM-1000, 3M M-64, Tascam 58, Tascam 238, MCI JH-416 off the top of my head... :drunk:

Try some fine adjusting it with this and see if it still works:

View attachment 97496

We are traveling around in a trailer right now... Our awning was stuck and I used that tool for some fine adjustment..... The new awning is on order.......

On a semi-serious note though, the 424 does stop (almost like its binding), the first two or three times I push play (or record) everyday I use it. After it stops for a couple of seconds, the tape drive shuts off. I'll fast forward and rewind a couple of times then it works fine. The tape driving wheel seems plenty strong enough.

The other thing is, the capistan starts moving as soon as I turn the machine power button in the back on. It spins until I turn off the power button on the back. Is this Normal??

Yes, capstan spins all the time when the 424 is powered.

On your other issue is there any way you can post a short video of the problem? Are you saying you press PLAY and it won't stay in play? It'll stop by itself and the heads drop away from the tape?

Nice use of an awning tool btw.

Of course when I went to take a video the thing works perfectly... (It's kinda like when I need the car to run good I tell it we're heading to the mechanic).

Yes... The spindles..... They seem pretty torquey.....

Maybe it was a lack of use problem. I spent the afternoon playing with the thing and it worked great!!

Thanks

Make sure the tape reels in the cassette you are using are able to turn freely. If there is resistance, which can occur for instance if the cassette casing is warped, the 424 will think it's at the end of the tape travel and drop out of PLAY.

Thanks for the help SB...... I think I'm pretty lucky on this one. It's only other problem is a trim pot that seems to have lost its "stop". I'll just have to be careful.

I bought a parts one with a broken case off eBay to fix any problems this one might have.... I might to just have to try and fix that one up!!

Back