weight of a 1/2" reel?

Roozter

Does anybody know the approximate weight of a 1/2" 2500' reel of tape? Calculating some shipping costs so I don't get taken for a ride.

Here's the "trick"...coming from someone who's had many a 2" reel shipped (with box they are about 11-12 lbs)...and who's asked for lower shipping rates to be provided. :)

Ask the seller to ship it to you USPS Media Mail...much cheaper than anything else.
It's a "loophole" in the USPS pricing of parcels, and only applies to items that qualify as "Media Mail". He may have to open the package to show that the contents qualify as media....and audio tape does.
Also, the USPS has flat-rate boxes that perfectly fit a single 2" reel....so you could easily fit 2-3 1/2" reels in one of those.

The other option is to barter with the seller....see if you can get combined shipping if you do more than one reel.
I just had those three reels of 2" shipped to me via FedEx from California to NY....combined cost was $42 for a 36 lb box. The seller originally wanted about $23/reel via FedEx, which is about right for the weight/distance...but once I bought three reels, I asked him for a combined rate, and he gave it to me. Saved me $27. :cool:

Here's the "trick"...coming from someone who's had many a 2" reel shipped (with box they are about 11-12 lbs)...and who's asked for lower shipping rates to be provided. :)

Ask the seller to ship it to you USPS Media Mail...much cheaper than anything else.
It's a "loophole" in the USPS pricing of parcels, and only applies to items that qualify as "Media Mail". He may have to open the package to show that the contents qualify as media....and audio tape does.
Also, the USPS has flat-rate boxes that perfectly fit a single 2" reel....so you could easily fit 2-3 1/2" reels in one of those.

The other option is to barter with the seller....see if you can get combined shipping if you do more than one reel.
I just had those three reels of 2" shipped to me via FedEx from California to NY....combined cost was $42 for a 36 lb box. The seller originally wanted about $23/reel via FedEx, which is about right for the weight/distance...but once I bought three reels, I asked him for a combined rate, and he gave it to me. Saved me $27. :cool:

I was hoping someone would chime in with a trick to get cheaper shipping. Thanks man! That's going to save me a fortune.

Here's the thing though, I'm not just messing with one reel, or two reels, I'm dealing with serious weight. I'm not going to get in to the details of my negotiations, or what exactly is being sent to me, its a tad too risky, but let's just say its the holy grail, and that it weighs well over 100 pounds. ;)

Shipping is $100 with UPS right now. This media mail thing might help a lot. PM me Miroslav and I'll give you the scoop. I could use some help with this media mail thing and you probably need more details to answer my questions.

So I guess your hanging up recording for lack of tape is all in the past now? :listeningmusic:

Good for you.

... it weighs well over 100 pounds. ;)

Shipping is $100 with UPS right now.

Honestly...$100 for 100 lbs is actually a great price.
I paid $42 for 36 lbs...so that's roughly $126 for 108 lbs....of course, box size and shipping distance plays into too.

You're not going to be able to ship 100 lbs using Media Mail....unless you break it up into a lot of smaller packages.
For one box at 100 lbs you need to go FedEx or UPS....and I think they may have a 75 lb limit on a single box...'cuz it has to be something the delivery guys can lift/move around....but you should check with them.

And you can only use Media Mail within the USA, not from overseas, like say Brazil. ;)

Some sellers will insist they can't ship unused tape Media Mail because it's not permitted under postal guidelines. Many will say the tape must contain music, speech, etc. but I've been in audio/video in some form or fashion since 1978 and we always have used Media Mail. Here's the trick if you get hassled. Have the seller put a note inside the box that says, "White noise." You're buying the vintage tape because you want authentic tape hiss, which is on the tape whether it's sealed or not. That's your story and you're sticking to it. ;)

When I sell NOS tape I use Media Mail. When I buy it I try to persuade the seller to use Media Mail. I've had few problems. We should all try to help each other out and keep costs down as much as possible. Shipping fees can add a lot to the total cost.

So I guess your hanging up recording for lack of tape is all in the past now? :listeningmusic:

Good for you.

Let's just say I'm trading an arm and a leg, and making an offer they can't refuse. They would be stupid to pass on it.

And I would be stupid not to offer my arm and leg. This is a once and a lifetime deal, and is probably my last chance at recording now and in the future.

For anyone knocking my pickiness, in a nutshell, I'm putting my life's work on this tape. That may be corny or funny to you guys, but at the moment I'm living in an attic with my machines/instruments/turntable/speakers a TV, a few end tables, and a bed. I have no car, no insurance, no job, and I dropped out of highschool to pursue a promising commercial music career only to have my throat develop some chronic problem that no doctor can diagnose properly, which was when I turned to mastering the art of engineering to bide my time until the voice got better. That was 6 years ago. Throat is still the same now. Also bear in mind, for those who would tell me to get my priorities straight; Last year I had the most desirable job for a musician in the city, a place I could've retired at, a decent car, and a two bedroom, three storey house, that was once owned by the Crosley family, with nothing more than a GED, at the old brittle age of just 20.
Tradgedy hit me and my family (what's left of them) multiple times while I worked there, financials got bad, and shit spiraled down to rock bottom in a matter of months, which is what led me to be where I am now.

I dug up my Tascam M30 at that job in a pile of 20 year old junk, and bought the 80-8 without knowing a thing about analog recording a week later. I was intranced by this stone age forgotten technology, and have since fell in love with it. Its the only medium I would put my music, my life's work, on.

So as you can see, this is kind of all I've got left. I may have to move across the country soon to the middle of nowhere to live with family, and I'm going there prepared to lock myself up and not come out until all 5 of my albums are finished. These are fully written albums, ready to record, two of which are double albums. This is why onesies and twosies of different tape formulations won't work. I need a loooot of tape, and I will not have the ability to recalibrate the machine at my new location. I'm literally going all in and then cashing out. I'm not waiting on anything anymore.

EDIT: Sorry if this got too real guys. I just didn't want anyone to think I was some snobby prude scoffing at new reels of 406 and other perfectly fine tape. I just happen to need a lot of tape, right now, and it needs to survive decades after I'm dead without going sticky.

Last edited:
Interesting story, you have. I would hope some of that angst, energy, passion, dedication, or whatever it is translates into some good music.

I gather you are 21 from your post. I myself went through a "last ditch" effort at a similar age. All or nothing. Well, life is an interesting ebb and flow of good and bad. I would say don't put all your hopes into one endeavor. life will continue to throw good opportunities your way should you be open to them.

If the passion is strong in you, it will continue despite the outcome of this current last ditch effort.

Good luck and rock on!
:guitar:

Interesting story, you have. I would hope some of that angst, energy, passion, dedication, or whatever it is translates into some good music.

I gather you are 21 from your post. I myself went through a "last ditch" effort at a similar age. All or nothing. Well, life is an interesting ebb and flow of good and bad. I would say don't put all your hopes into one endeavor. life will continue to throw good opportunities your way should you be open to them.

If the passion is strong in you, it will continue despite the outcome of this current last ditch effort.

Good luck and rock on!
:guitar:

When there's been no hope, there was always music in some form or another there to lift me up, so I feel I owe my life to music, and its my life's meaning to provide that same lift to people that I got. Im lucky in that I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life at a very young age (14) and discovered later on that I happened to be quite the prodigy. Living in a broken impoverished home all through childhood made materializing any sort of career in music difficult, and by the time I got a serious offer out of Nashville, my throat problems had begun, and I literally could no longer sing correctly. What do all these insiders keep asking me for? Demos. What does one need to create a demo? I rest my case.

But I'm not stopping at just going to the local can and recording some crappy EP digitally with some lazy engineer. I am literally responsible for every aspect of the entire project except for the drums, and I am going to squeeze every last ounce of mojo and magic from from my 80-8 and SX 2T until they sound like studers. I'm slamming my foot back in the door and saying "I recorded a hit album by myself on two prosumer decks from 1975, and it cost me less than 10k" :cursing:

So from an AR perspective, I would be all over someone who can create singles and LPs with complete self-suffiency and on a shoe-string budget. Lenny Kravitz went that route when recording his first album independently, and hey, Beck just won a Grammy.

But I digress...The first time I really started songwriting, I had an explosion of 10 songs in one month after maybe 2 or 3 years hiatus of serious guitar playing. Really raw, because I was green as hell, but even 6-7 years later, those 10 songs are still just as good, and still seem to be the most popular with listeners.

That being said. I'm pretty excited to see what 6 years of hardcore studying on engineering and production will translate to. Its been 3 years since I sat down and did a proper final mix, so I'm pretty nervous. But I really do expect the dam to break again, and for me to come flying at this like a bat out of hell from day one. IF I can get everything in order at the same time. Im sure once the tape shows up, a belt will dry rot or something like that. :rolleyes:

I think you should pursue your dreams....but I also think you are putting WAY too much drama into the whole process of recording.

What I mean is...your obsessions that it has to be 206 tape is somewhat curious, seeing how you haven't really done a lot of tape recording at your age. Also...this do-or-die mentality of locking yourself and then churning out a half dozen albums that are going to be the totally ass-kicking and knock open doors....well, I say, go for it, but man, be prepared for a LOT of let downs, and more work than you can imagine. Just because you have 6 albums worth of material doesn't mean that all you need to do is get that 206 tape, spin it up on your 80-8...and magic will happen.

Hey....you may turn out to be a wunderkind, and the stuff will just pour out of you and hit that tape like liquid gold....but I think you should be prepared for more misery, hard work, disappointment...and then finally some "good stuff"...multiplied times 6 albums.

I say this...sort out your life first, and don't put everything in the balance just on your ability to knock out that much music with some major results. You will end up being more depressed and stressed than you have been up to now.
I know when you are in your 20s, it's easy to be idealistic and dream big...we've all done it...and you SHOULD dream big, but do it with a firm grip on reality.

I've been on the music/recording roller coaster for many, many years....and I've had moments of glory where I thought it was just a matter of me making some music and recording it, and then everything will fall into place.....and then reality kicked in…several times over the years.
I've been on the brink of quitting it all at least twice seriously....but here I am, still at it, and finally now I feel like I have the studio I always wanted and my current music production is getting to a level that is of a higher caliber...and even with that, I still know that it's all just a long shot and mostly a pipe dream, same as it is for millions of others.

Best of luck, and don't lose the dream...but have a back-up plan that gives you more time, more longevity....instead of this do-or-die, ready-to-give-it all-up-if-I-don't-find-some-206-tape.
Be prepared for a LOT more work and bigger hurdles and letdowns…than finding/using the 206 tape formulation.
Accept the fact that 40-50 years from now, no one will care…and your music may just end up on a shelf or in some boxes in a basement until it gets tossed out during a spring cleaning.
I don’t say that to suggest your music sucks….I say that so you have a better perspective on how things can go, but you shouldn’t let that stop you from pursuing your music…same way you shouldn’t give it up if your 206 tape deal falls through.
C’mon now….there’s a LOT of ways to make music and get it recorded. Just look at the millions of people doing it these days.
Also….keep that in mind…,there’s a million guys in their 20s chasing the same thing as you. That’s the competition.

Oh...and the first reality for you to deal with right now, in case you missed it in the previous posts....Media Mail is probably not going to work for 80-100lb parcels. I don't the USPS even handles those weights regardless of Media Mail or regular parcels.
Have the guy put it all in 1-2 boxes and just FedEx it or UPS it to you. The few extra bucks will be worth it....but you should go to your local Post Office and talk to them about Media Mail and the weight/size limits...etc.

I'd like to add, If you have TRULY great songs, no one will give a shit what they were recorded on. Your passion is great, but lets lose the "last bullet in the gun" mentality. This ain't your last shot. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you.

Don't expect the strength of your songs to propel you into success.
Nope, it's hard work, putting a good band together, touring, starving, playing clubs for 4 or 5 people, sleeping in the van, etc. You gotta work at it and slowly build up a fan base one or two people at a time.
Eric Johnson was interviewed once, and the interviewer commented on his "overnight success". Eric laughed and remarked that his overnight success only took 20 years.

Aside from that, if your voice is shot because of this throat condition, you're gonna need to get a singer for your tunes.

Like miroslav said, too much drama around the recording process. Just do it, work hard at it, keep going and don't give up. Having good tunes is just a small part of it. I'm glad you have faith in your material, but ultimately the public will be the judge of that. Get it done and out there, and see if the public is willing to buy it and come to your shows.

Don't try to pull off too much at once. Remember, the highly successful Rock opera "Tommy" wasn't written and recorded till the Who was already an established band.

And with that being said, I'm out of this thread.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm old, so more than once I wrote "Special 4th Class Rate - Sound Recordings" on tape "packaging" before shipping it out.

I'm surprised that rate still exists...

Back