VU meters or something else?

BOJAX

hey,
i have been recording from vinyls to an r2r machine and I noticed that whenever i switch from monitoring the source and tape I see a pretty big difference in the levels as indicated by the vu meter. For example. while monitoring the tape with levels centered around 0 when i switch to the source it is centered around maybe +2. I can also hear a difference. Monitoring the source produces richer bass than the tape reproduction does.

Is this normal
Does it have to do with
a) the machine i am using (not a top of the line machine but it suits me fine. freq response is 30- 22,000 khz at 7 1/2ips)
b) the tape i am using (sony pr-150)
c) the VU meters
d) the heads

please don't say c or d :(

BOJAX said:
a) the machine i am using (not a top of the line machine but it suits me fine. freq response is 30- 22,000 khz at 7 1/2ips)
b) the tape i am using (sony pr-150)
c) the VU meters
d) the heads
What machine have you got?

sounds like it might need a calibration. or you could just use it as is. it sounds like it is set up for more headroom. i might be way off base though, these calibrations confuse the crap outta me. you can change the meters to show whatever you want on input and output. as far as bass response... that one is confusing. what kind of tape are you using?

Do you have an output control? And does it have any effect on the output level on the meters? Also I kinda doubt that any reel to reel will produce at 22000 k at 7.5. Besides that it could be the tape you are using or bad heads on record or play back or both.
Could be you need to defrag and clean the heads real good.
There is alot that could be going on hear so its kinda hard to tell.

lol

falken:
I am using sony pr 150-7 tape. by calibration do you mean adjusting the knobs on the playback and recording amp boards? if so, there's no WAY i'm doing that myself. I did however try to align the heads by myself. I did a pretty decent job. I got maximum output.

herm: no output control. I just ran a 1k tone through all four channels last night and recorded them. when i monitored playback they seemed fine. maybe slightly over 0 between 0 and +1. I switched the playback and recording boards around. Stil a little over 0 though. And slightly wobbly.
i clean the heads almost every time i use them. If you are talking about degaussing, i havent done that. The manual says it has deguassing circuits or something like that. Would that make a difference?

BOJAX said:
akai 1730dss
I'd try some newer tape - you should get a reasonably nice sound out of one of those. Quantegy 407, or if you can find it some Maxell 35-90B would be worth trying.

how old is the pr 150 tape anyway, it was unused.
as I seem to be geographically challenged when it somes to reel to reel products
where can i get those tapes?

BOJAX said:
how old is the pr 150 tape anyway, it was unused. as I seem to be geographically challenged when it somes to reel to reel products where can i get those tapes?
PR-150 appears to be a very old tape - this site has an ad from 1968. (but at least your tape has gone through the Lubri-Cushion process!) Its also featured here.

cjacek or Ghost of FM are both Canadians so they should be able to help with local suppliers. Trust me, your position is bound to be better than that here in New Zealand!

lmao thanks a lot man
still dont know what "lubri cushion" is
the tapes are beautiful though
unused
i thought they were from the 60's

Back