Vinyl sales

Grew up on vinyl. Did analog recordings and was keen to "real" dynamics via analog, tubes, vinyl etc. Long live vinyl and analog. It's like, the Ford Motor Company continuing to manufacture 1957 T-Birds. Year after year, after year..... MP3's are just a fly in the ointment. (Especially for audiophiles.) Anyone interested in listening to great, dynamic audio in the digital domain can do so today without reverting back to an era gone by.:listeningmusic::listeningmusic:

Easy to download mp3's. Not so easy to download large format, greater dynamic music files. (You have to pay me for that.) I really don't care if someone can't download my music in mp3. I don't make my music available in mp3. If you don't have the capacity to download my wav. and FLAC files, I'm sorry about that. :yawn:

Last edited:
Jeez guys, this isn't an argument over what's "better". Some people are carrying some imaginary flag with a record at the top of the flag pole. I love vinyl too. I miss the days of saving up for a record, ripping the plastic off the cover, seeing that shiny black disc, putting it on the turn table and listening to a WHOLE album, the way it was meant to be heard. We all miss that, along with the un-describable magic sound of analog.

But that's not the issue.

If you have to bring flea markets and second-hand sales into it, that means there's not much of a come back happening. If any industry was based on second hand sales, there would be no industry. That's why guitar strings are meant to break, so that you go out and buy new ones. Vic Firth and Ernie Ball would be bankrupt if sticks and strings were un-breakable.

So, my point is this: Stick and strings may break my bones, but.......No wait, that's not it. :eek:

If you have to bring flea markets and second-hand sales into it, that means there's not much of a come back happening.

Nobody thinks vinyl sales are ever going to come back to significant levels. But what's interesting about it is how much money people are spending on alternative music. There's definitely a trend of people wanting something from music that they aren't getting from major artist releases whatever the format. Vinyl is just one sign of the trend. Forums like this are another sign. People want music that's more ''real", something that they can have a more personal connection with. There's just something inherently worthless about a pirated mp3 of a loop based, autotuned to death commercial release.

There's definitely a trend of people wanting something from music that they aren't getting from major artist releases whatever the format.
But again, I don't know how big this trend really is. Don't forget, we live in our little "musician/engineer" world. What we think is a trend may be smaller than a drop in the bucket outside our world.

Forums like this are another sign.
I don't agree with that. Forums like this are a tiny sampling of "our" little world, not the average music listener who doesn't really give that much of a crap.
People want music that's more ''real"
They do? OK, I hope you're right. But I don't see any indication of that outside our little world, which we think is way more important than it really is.

There's just something inherently worthless about a pirated mp3 of a loop based, autotuned to death commercial release.
To me, you and the 50-60 people that spend time on this kind of forum, maybe.

Don't get me wrong. I wish you were right about all this. But I think we're glamourizing our semi-relevant little world a little too much. The average person who USED to follow artists and care about new music, etc....doesn't really exist in this generation any more. I'd love to turn around in 3 years from now and have to admit I was being too cynical and 100% wrong, but I don't see that happening.

Since the demise of vinyl, it has become a cult. The cult is getting a wee bit bigger. But it is still a cult. Its never going to come back mainstreem. Even cd is becoming a cult. There are people that are shocked that I still buy them instead of downloading to my phone.
Face it, we live in a world where people get music on the the phone. Convenient rules.
That being said, I'm a fan of hard copy music. Proud cult member here.
We are fortunate to live in an age where there are choices

Not really, the vast majority of new product is self-released and sold direct by the artist... ebay, Bandcamp sites, artist sites, indie shops etc.

Ok . . . point taken. However, this doesn't strike me as being a resurgence of the industry. I was picking up on this bit of what you noted, where you had "flea markets" and "used record stores" amongst new product outlets:

RIAA doesn't go into flea markets, used record stores, indie stores, yard sales, ebay, bandcamp merch or any other person-to-person sales which comprise most vinyl transactions.

2 of my sons late teens early 20s have been into vinyl for the last few years it is pretty cool to see them with there records and how into the new and classic stuff they are.

Ok . . . point taken. However, this doesn't strike me as being a resurgence of the industry. I was picking up on this bit of what you noted, where you had "flea markets" and "used record stores" amongst new product outlets:

Yeah, whatevs.. the more I look at this thread, the more it looks like a semantic argument ("Should this really be called a renaissance??"), and not a race that I really have a horse in.

Grew up on vinyl. Did analog recordings and was keen to "real" dynamics via analog, tubes, vinyl etc. Long live vinyl and analog. It's like, the Ford Motor Company continuing to manufacture 1957 T-Birds. Year after year, after year..... MP3's are just a fly in the ointment. (Especially for audiophiles.) Anyone interested in listening to great, dynamic audio in the digital domain can do so today without reverting back to an era gone by.:listeningmusic::listeningmusic:

Easy to download mp3's. Not so easy to download large format, greater dynamic music files. (You have to pay me for that.) I really don't care if someone can't download my music in mp3. I don't make my music available in mp3. If you don't have the capacity to download my wav. and FLAC files, I'm sorry about that. :yawn:

What do you mean by 'dynamic' here? You seem to be conflating file compression with dynamic range compression. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you - please can you clarify?

I still by LPs, I still by CDs and I still acquire digital stuff where the others aren't available or I'm taste testing.
The current fad is being driven by something other than a quest for quality audio - the number of people online spruiking records & showing their USB turntable or worse, in set ups with Ttable on top of a speaker, with one speaker o the floor and another beside the ttable etc suggest it's faddism.

...the number of people online spruiking records & showing their USB turntable or worse, in set ups with Ttable on top of a speaker, with one speaker o the floor and another beside the ttable etc suggest it's faddism.

Other than the USB thing some people were doing that stuff all along.

[I really don't care if someone can't download my music in mp3. I don't make my music available in mp3. If you don't have the capacity to download my wav. and FLAC files, I'm sorry about that. :yawn:[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way.

What do you mean by 'dynamic' here? You seem to be conflating file compression with dynamic range compression. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you - please can you clarify?

Can you hear the difference between mp3 formats and a wav or flac file format? That's OK mate. Many people can not. I think the word 'dynamic' is self-descriptive in this context.

I grew up in the world of vinyl and still love it. I have close to two thousand albums and nearly one thousand 45's I have a cd player but never use it. I also agree with you guys that tape and vinyl go together.

I saw an article on BBC world the other night about an old record pressing plant reopening due to demand.

Alan.

Back