Using looper with mixer

Ricklh

I have a stereo looper and Behringer 802 mixer. I have been recording on the looper using the mixer to monitor but when I record a new guitar part, I notice the looper re-records the existing loop that I previously recorded, which results in the drums sounding a little phasey. So I want to be able to record new loops via the mixer but not re-record the existing loop when I'm recording a new track. Anyone else doing this? The mixer has in and out RCA cd/tape connections so I'm wondering if the "CD/tape to control room" button is what I need use? Here's the set-up I'm hoping is correct to achieve what I'm talking about:

1. Guitar to main mixer input (1/4 jack)
2. Looper out to tape input (RCA jacks on mixer)
3. Tape output to looper aux-in
4. CD/tape to control room button engaged

What I was doing before that was different than the above was I was routing the looper out to the main mix, therefore it recorded the existing loop again.

Ideally you'd want a larger mixer with subgroup support so you can steer different channels to different outputs.
However, what you're suggesting should work at a pinch, or something similar. You need to make sure the looper output (2track input) goes to the control room but NOT the main mix, that the looper is listening to the main mix and and NOT the control room, and that you're listening to the control room.

I considered that, but it won't work for a stereo signal.

EDIT: Also, that assumes that the looper will take a single mono input and pan it centre - if it doesn't you may need a Y-cable.

Dang it, I was afraid of that. Anyway, I'll experiment and see what I come up with. Thanks for the post.

So, I tried the aux send/aux return method and could only get signal out of the left channel on playback so finally decided to try the method I posted in post #1 and it worked perfectly, using the RCA phono tape inputs and outputs. And it does not re-record the loops, only records from the main guitar inputs. Everything sounds awesome on playback and in full stereo!

Back