Update on Quantegy tape from US Recording Media:

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
TAPE BUYERS::::NOTICE--------NOTICE------------NOTICE----------NOTICE-----------NOTICE

UPDATE Feb 1, 2005: The tape is slowly rolling in and we're slowly starting to fill our shelves. We got a truckload of tape today including 2" GP9, 1/4" 457, and 407. Quantegy is slowly ramping production again. Also, there definitely will, we're told, be a new studio quality open reel audio tape manufacturer in Pennsylvania starting in May or early June and maybe even as early as April... Hang in there! They're going to be making very good tape starting with a +6 OL tape which almost everybody should be able to use.

Please check our web site often if you need tape. It's updated throughout the day and we do have some product coming in daily directly from Quantegy. They are now in very limited production again. For those who aren't aware, Quantegy Inc. had shut down production of their tape factory in Opelika Alabama.

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com

With this new tape, would you need to recalibrate your machine for it. Also how much better could it be to make it worth it. Anybody?

SteveMac said:
With this new tape, would you need to recalibrate your machine for it. Also how much better could it be to make it worth it. Anybody?
I'm not quite sure if I understand your question but the tape ARP described is 456, which was in the past, always a +6 tape if biased to 320 Nwb standards so nothing really changes except for possibly better slitting, fewer drop outs and more stable binders that won't shed as badly as older, pre 1995 formulations.

Is it worth it?

Hell, yes.

Cheers! :)

Finally some good news -- no 1/2" yet but I feel a little more hopeful. :)

All they have currently is 456 on 7" reels,...

which is good for the 22- Series and the 388. Fostex too.

Seems Quantegy took down their site. Not good ..... :(

~Daniel

Attachments

• Quantegy.jpg
    Quantegy.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
They pulled the plug.

Or, maybe they didn't pay their ISP bill!! :eek:

Well, not a good sign, so hold on to your seats! Anyway, the internet's not everything! (... says the guy who spends 24/7 on the web). :eek:

A Reel Person said:
Anyway, the internet's not everything! (... says the guy who spends 24/7 on the web). :eek:
I agree...says the guy who also spends too much time on the net. :D

This place disappears every once in a while and it always seems to come back so have a little faith.

Cheers! :)

Back