TSR-8 dead channel 8 (fixed)

jpmorris

Tape Wolf
OK, so after rewiring some of the studio I tried to record some timecodes. After much swearing and trying to reverse-engineer the convoluted system I have for timecode routing, I eventually realised that the way I'd set it up, all timecodes generated from the TS1 Midi sync unit were going through channel 8 on the TSR-8 and that had failed.

Checked the cable, cable good. Nothing coming in from the socket. Swap the channel cards, problem stays put. Take the back off the deck, signal coming in from the socket. That's fine. Check the schematics and poke around with a continuity tester. Nothing. That's not good. Check for continuity between the socket and D1/D2. Continuity good. That's something.

At this point I realised that the entire source of the problem was that channel 8 differs from the rest in that it has a 3-pole switch with a couple of input pads to set the input level for the timecode, i.e. -10, +4 or a trim-pot, and the switch had been pushed into a dead spot between poles.

TL;DR - if the input on channel 8 of a TASCAM TSR-8 goes dead, flick the input switch on the back before taking the deck apart!

Back