Trying to get a feel for how I sound

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
In a couple of weeks, I'm going to be playing for a group of about a dozen folks. At the event, It'll just be me and my acoustic guitar with the audience about 15 feet away. No mics or PA system.... I just want to get a feel of how my voice and guitar will sound for em(should I play quieter etc.....).

How would be the best way to do this in my "studio"?

Thanks,

Brad

Maybe you can set up your smart phone 15 feet away, at ear level and play into that. It is really hard to give advice on loudness when the location has not been described or an audio sample has not been given. I know that playing indoors is quite different than playing outdoors as far as volume goes. As far as your voice matching the volume of your guitar, it is impossible to tell with out having the above information.

I'm hoping to not overwhelm you. I had to use the widest angle lens I had.......

File Oct 10, 7 27 21 PM.jpeg

an MXL910 Condenser and a Nady dynamic....

:D

If it was me I'd setup the condenser 10' back or so and hit record. Your room won't sound like the venue...no way to exactly replicate that, but the condenser will probably capture the sound more naturally, and you'll get the distal blend of your voice and guitar and some room noise. It will give you an idea outside of what you hear in your head. That's what I'd do.

:D

If it was me I'd setup the condenser 10' back or so and hit record. Your room won't sound like the venue...no way to exactly replicate that, but the condenser will probably capture the sound more naturally, and you'll get the distal blend of your voice and guitar and some room noise. It will give you an idea outside of what you hear in your head. That's what I'd do.

Thanks SB.....I did it.... it was interesting, where I thought my voice was too loud, the guitar overpowered it.... I ended up using a quieter guitar that I think will work well. (I don't trust myself to play quietly...)

:D :D :D

It's always pretty revealing to hear ourselves. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always with the potential to be constructive depending on how hard we wanna be on our own self. Sounds like it was a worthwhile effort. You play next weekend?

Back