Transporting A 388

Mark7

I lack upper body strength, but I'd like to be able to move my 388 from my flat, which is on the 2nd (3rd to Americans) floor of a tower block to a car or taxi. So I need some kind of cart or dolly.

Any suggestions?

A hand-truck with a sufficiently long frame ( 4.5 - 5 ft ) with a footprint skid plate of 10 inches would be required. Also, the wheels on it would need to be large enough to traverse stair steps. Inflatable tires would make the ride softer and easier to manage especially on any stairs you encounter. I don't know of any specific make and model as most of the ones commonly available at hardware shops are usually no-name type products that generally sell for around $20 - $40 dollars on this side of the pond. Not sure what is locally available in England.

You'd be wise to also invest in some sort of padding and strapping kits to give the 388 some protection against bumping the guts of the unit too much and having it slip off the hand truck.

Ultimately, you'd want a hard shell case with a padded interior to address those sorts of perils but that will also add to the weight and bulk of the task and also very possible prevent it from fitting into any vehicle short of a cargo van.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers! :)

This may seem silly, but what about having a friend help you carry it downstairs?

A couple or three problems with this one.

- It doesn't extend tall enough to clear the height of the 388 when the 388 is placed in the vertical position with the left of right wooden dress panel then becoming the base of the unit. So your hand will get pinched trying to grip the handle of the truck making it very uncomfortable to try to maneuver the load...especially on stairs.

- The wheels on it are are small and made of hard plastic which on level smooth ground is fine. But again on stairs, it will be most difficult to pull the unit up each stair step.

- I have owned one of these units in the past and found that I had to keep it stored outdoors on my balcony as the smell emitted from those plastic wheels was horrendous. God only knows what China used to construct those wheels with but I suspect it was the dye to make them look black which was the culprit. You've heard of "new car smell"? Those wheels have "new rotting fish smell".

Something like this, linked below, would cover far more of the criteria I outlined in my previous post...

600LB HEAVY DUTY SACK TRUCK INDUSTRIAL HAND TROLLEY NEW: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Cheers! :)

I'd like to record a friend's band. I live in a multi-occupancy building, so doing it here is out of the question.

Oh, ok :-)
I'd say instead of spending money on a cart or dolly. Just have them carry it down for you, and carry it back when you're finished with the project.
it weighs less than a M520 board, and thats a two man carry.

I myself wouldn't trust a hand truck up and down steps. 2 guys carrying it is a breeze, and you have no bouncing and jarring.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
:-)

You have an elevator?? Life made easy.
i dont even see how this warrants a thread. Get two blokes to carry it in and out and be done with it.

:-)

Back