track digital ---> mix to tape?

tryptophan

hey, guys what's up?

i'm a long-time 424 user and i've come to prefer the sound of my recordings over the sound of my friend's digital recordings for whatever reason. but i recently sold the 424 because of money problems. now i have to record to my computer. i don't like the sound of my digital mixdowns. they kind of sound futuristic or unnatural. my question is...

would it be advisable to purchase some kind of analog equipment for final mixdown? if so, what kind? i'm not really aware of what's out there.

would i need a reel to reel? or is there something else? i'm not very smart. i'm just talking about a 2-track mixdown option. i'm used to doing everything to cassette and the rest of the world is a mystery to me

thanks for reading

Warming up digital tracks with an analog master --a lot of studios do it. I always recommend starting the process with analog, but not everyone can for one reason or another.

Look for a Tascam 32-2, 22-2 or Otari MX5050 BII/BIII 2-track reel-to-reel. It doesn't work miracles but is better than nothing if you get the hang of it.

I must be honest with you -- Computer/soundcard recording sounds like a train wreck compared to something like the 424. You can only do so much with it after the fact.

holy shit, those tascams are cheap. but i can't really warrant getting one if the difference will be only slight. although having a tape master would lend some coolness to my conversations........ i'm torn

Back