Are these tapes good with the Tascam 388?

MagnumPI

I got these tapes with my machine. They are all in unopened boxes. Do you think they are good for the Tascam 388?
Could they be too old and have shedding etc?
Anything else I should know about them before I start recording.
Thanks Guys,
M.
p.s. I just like looking at this photo. Beautiful stuff.Tape.JPG

Last edited:
Ampex 642 is the best out of the lot. 641 is next as far as quality, but its really a voice grade tape... not the best. Scotch 176 is good quality, but at 1.5 mil is too thick and not recommended for the 388. Same problem with Scotch 175, plus its not the best sounding tape for hi-fi. Concert Tape is a cheap Radio Shack product, and while it will work, its not the best option. Ampex 292 will probably have sticky-shed syndrome and is not so great anyway.

So to sum up... Ampex 642 is pretty good stuff, similar to Maxell UD 35-90 in performance. It's the best of what you've got there. You could probably use the 641 as well, but don't expect great things from it.

What do you think about Ampex 456?
What are some other good ones I should be looking for on ebay?
What do you think about the RMGI-North America LPR35?
is it generally safe to buy tape on ebay if it is sealed or is new better?
Questions, questions....

If a tape is sealed it doesn't matter how old it is. Consider it new. Of course the usual cautions go with tapes that have sticky-shed, like Ampex backcoated tape made before 1995 and certain models of 3M/Scotch and a few others.

My fav for the 388 is Quantegy 407, followed closely by Maxell XL 35-90B and 3M/Scotch 207. I would avoid Ampex/Quantegy 456 because its too thick. Tape to head contact is not quite as good with 456 and the load feature on the 388 won't work right because the tape is too short (1200 ft). Use the 1-mil version, 457 instead. Ampex 642 and Maxell UD 35-90 are good for non-backcoated tape. LPR35 is good too, but I'd look for it in BASF or EMTEC brand. RMGI LPR35 is ok, but not my first choice. Even Radio Shack Supertape is pretty good because it is really Ampex 642 made by Ampex for Radio Shack.

I've just located some reels of the BASF brand but its listed as BASF LP35 not LPR35 is this the same tape you're talking about?

Hey Guys, The Quantegy 407 is made by AMPEX right?
Ive been looking them up and I only found them with the AMPEX 407 logo on the front (no mention of Quantegy)
Am I looking at the right tape?

Hey Guys, The Quantegy 407 is made by AMPEX right?
Ive been looking them up and I only found them with the AMPEX 407 logo on the front (no mention of Quantegy)
Am I looking at the right tape?

Ampex rebranded their tape division as Quantegy after the sticky shed fiasco. If it's Quantegy-branded it will be made after the problem years. If it's Ampex, it will probably stuff up the machine.
There was a transition period around 1995-1997 - anything dated 1995 onwards should be okay, even if it is Ampex-branded. Some of these have AMPEX all over the packaging but 'Quantegy' as the address on the back.

Check the serial number. For Ampex it's something like 97120, where the first two digits are the year. With Quantegy it's a 4-digit year, e.g. 2002218. I think the last 3 digits are the day of the year.

But bear in mind that this is only good for new-old-stock... if the box has been opened, what's actually in it is anyone's guess.

hhhmmm...The one I'm looking at on ebay says "AMPEX corporation* Magnetic tape division* Redwood city California"
But I cant see any date from the photos (only front and back) or mention of Quantegy.
This one would possibly be prone to sticky shed, right?
a1.pnga2.png

Just to chime in here, one of our Magic Hero band members in Austin, Tex. recorded some songs on on his 388. One song in particular had a 'sonic vibe' I liked better than the others ... we ended up using that one for an upcoming album. He noted that this particular song was recorded on the 'wrong' tape ... he mailed it to me so I could transfer it to my Ampex 8-track (courtesy our drummer here in Oakland, who has a 388), and the tape was an old red box Ampex 641! It was a little bass-heavy, but sounded nice and cloudy ... and ran smooth on my friend's 388 here.

Last edited:
Q.png
Ampex rebranded their tape division as Quantegy after the sticky shed fiasco. If it's Quantegy-branded it will be made after the problem years. If it's Ampex, it will probably stuff up the machine.
There was a transition period around 1995-1997 - anything dated 1995 onwards should be okay, even if it is Ampex-branded. Some of these have AMPEX all over the packaging but 'Quantegy' as the address on the back.

Check the serial number. For Ampex it's something like 97120, where the first two digits are the year. With Quantegy it's a 4-digit year, e.g. 2002218. I think the last 3 digits are the day of the year.

But bear in mind that this is only good for new-old-stock... if the box has been opened, what's actually in it is anyone's guess.
So if it says Quantegy on the box and is 7'' 1800' it should be good for the Tascam 388 and not prone to sticky shed, correct?
Are there different tape sizes with the Quantegy 407 on 7" reel (1 mil/1.5) or are they all 1. mil?
Good/bad years I should be looking for (beside the ones marked Ampex)?
Thanks! Im still in the learning phase here...:)

In my sticky-shed help thread at the top of the analog forum you'll find the box styles that are good and the ones to avoid. The Ampex box style with the label in the middle more towards the top will have sticky-shed. The only exception for Ampex backcoated tape is 499. 499 never had sticky-shed even in the older box style. Ampex/Quantegy from very late 1994 through 2005 is the best and will not have sticky-shed. If the box has no date then you have to go by the box style. You'll get the hang of it.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...sticky-shed-help-thread-228067/2/#post2667109

View attachment 84568
So if it says Quantegy on the box and is 7'' 1800' it should be good for the Tascam 388 and not prone to sticky shed, correct?

Yes!

Are there different tape sizes with the Quantegy 407 on 7" reel (1 mil/1.5) or are they all 1. mil?
Good/bad years I should be looking for (beside the ones marked Ampex)?
Thanks! Im still in the learning phase here...:)
407 is 1-mil, which is what you want for the 388.

Last edited:
I just back from a store in Hollywood called Ametron. They had some decent stuff, and I also noticed they sold tape.
They had Quantegy 406,408,478,480, and 661. All on 7" reels.
My Tascam 388 was just calibrated for the 407.
Can I still use some of these tapes listed above or should I stick with the 407 only if possible? (I do have a few reels left)
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
M.

They had Quantegy 406,408,478,480, and 661. All on 7" reels.
My Tascam 388 was just calibrated for the 407.
Can I still use some of these tapes listed above or should I stick with the 407 only if possible?

While not ideal, the most acceptable tape to use from the lineup would be the 406. The only difference vs the 407 is that the 406's polyester backing is half a millimeter thicker. There are varying opinions on how this would affect the recorder's transport, heads and recording/playback specs. Also, I'm not sure if the 388's counter would work right with the thicker/shorter tape. I personally feel that using 406 should be fine, at least short term. Would the 388 have an easier life with a 407 and be "on spec"? Maybe, probably. Still, I doubt you'll find any perceptible sonic differences between the two tapes as they share the same bias and oxide.

Back