There's the ultimate....and then there's reality.......

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
My wife took a pic while I was doing some recording..... my biggest challenge is not kicking the litter box when I'm getting into the song.....
IMG_2093.JPG

What does y'alls setup look like?

It feels like I'm bragging, but here goes:

Multitrack and mixdown machine, taken a year ago. Since then I've added some noise gating, but it looks more-or-less the same otherwise. There's a TSR-8 on the far left by the remote for the Otari.
The rack cabinet here contains the compressors and enhancers for mixdown, timecode readers and sync units, and the digital recorders for digitizing the masters (one DA3000 stereo recorder, one JoeCo BlackBox 24-track unit). The mixing desk sat on top of the cabinet is a Soundcraft MFXi-20, which means there are a couple of tracks unused on the 24-track machine. I'm leaving track 23 as a guard track for the timecode anyway, and edge tracks can be a bit funny, so...
studio2015-1.jpg

The TSR-8 is seen again on the right. This rack has most of the synthesizers in it, plus the submixer (now replaced with a pair of chained 1U line mixers). There's a Watkins Copicat sat on top of the rack cabinet.
studio2015-4a.jpg

...and the keyboards:
studio2015-5.jpg

EDIT:
Oh, and by way of comparison, this was the original set up, lo those many years ago. The TSR-8 is the same one in the photos above from last year.
lab2004.jpg

What does my setup look like?

A ****ing disaster...that's what.

image.jpeg

Been here almost a year. Life has been crazy...studio stuff is spread all over the place...nothing organized or hooked up. Trying to finish the Tascam mixer project. I've got the 3M halftrack project tucked in another bedroom, and the Ampex multitrack and Tascam halftrack along with a smattering of rack gear are out in the shop.

Sigh

Your setup looks perfect, Brad.

Cory, looks like you're not gonna get a good stereo image with your monitor positioning. Where's the sweet spot?
:D

@ JP
Impressive amount of gear, you look ready for action. :thumbs up:

@Brad bachelor,
Hey! You're doing it. Making due and making music. What else you need?

@RFR...you ninny...tip head sideways and tuck nose in between the monitors. That's as sweet as it gets!!

Seriously though, yeah...that's where I'm at. Haven't even been able to figure out where to perch the R monitor speaker. :(

I'll stop whining now. :)

Holy cow Cory!!!! Forget the monitor situation!!! You have some Fluke slim lead flat blade test probes......... I am in awe....... :D

OMG, Brad you're gonna hone in on that and not say anything about the cat in the picture??? Lol

Yes...just bought the leads to replace the my mangled ones. I have a Fluke 85 meter I got used many years ago for $50 that needed the $20 LCD repair kit. Still good price for an 85. It came with a set of probes but they were well loved. Somewhere along the way I got a set of really nice Fluke clip leads...the kind with the jack in the lead so you can leave just one set of lead wires plugged into the meter and switch out the business end. Often when I'm diagnosing I'm having to change out clip lead for probe lead and because my probes don't unplug at the probe end pretty soon I've got 4 wires all tangled up. And years ago I had a couple incidents where I accidentally shorted across a circuit that had some ooomph with my probes...so the tips are kinda mangled/melted. I've been thinking of getting a new set but getting ones that plug in so I can just leave the two wires plugged into the meter and switch out the tips...the wires that came with the clip leads are much nicer quality over the wires in the probes that came with the meter. So I picked up those nice Fluke probes yesterday. They clip perfectly into the yellow meter case and everything.

Sometimes it's the little things.

Trying to finish the Tascam mixer project. I've got the 3M halftrack project tucked in another bedroom, and the Ampex multitrack and Tascam halftrack along with a smattering of rack gear are out in the shop.

How's the MCI parting-out going...I see you still have it listed?

OK...so I almost hate to post pictures of my studio reality...because like jpmorris above, I feel like I'm bragging....but you want to see reality. :)

Of course, everyone please keep in mind that for me, this has been like a 35+ year evolution, I didn't start with this. I mean, going way back to the start of it, all I had was an AKAI 4-track R2R (very similar to the TEAC 3340) and a TEAC Model 3 mixer...and a few stage mics that we used in my band.
So what I have now has taken a very long time to get to...not to mention the effort and money.

I did a major upgrade back in '90...then I moved in '99 to my current digs, and in 2001 I started rebuilding the studio to what it is now. There's been a lot of new gear added in the last 15 years, and I am now finally at what I consider an "almost finished" point.
The only thing that would trigger a major change/upgrade...would be that lottery win! :p

So this is my reality....and the Trident I just added this year, and spent a couple of months installing it, and then a few weeks this summer recapping/rechipping it, so I really haven't had a chance to use it much, but in a couple of weeks my fall recording period should kick into full swing.

FYI...I have no kids, no wife, no heavy debts other than my mortgage and a couple of car loans...so with a decent paying day gig, I am very lucky that I can afford to indulge my GAS.

Studio01.jpg

Studio05.jpg

Last edited:
Mine doesn't look exactly like this anymore, because the Fostex 80 (and 4050 remote) and Yamaha RM804 mixer are packed up in the closet. The Tascam 246 is now where the Yamaha mixer was, and the Tascam 388 is on its side with its innards exposed while Cory helps me track down the monitor issue. But other than that, this is pretty much it.

Attachments

• 03 Looking at opposite corner of door (web).jpg
    03 Looking at opposite corner of door (web).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 04 Looking from opposite corner of office desk (web).jpg
    04 Looking from opposite corner of office desk (web).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 14
Of course, everyone please keep in mind that for me, this has been like a 35+ year evolution, I didn't start with this. I mean, going way back to the start of it, all I had was...
Yes, context.. We all start somewhere (else :guitar:

FYI...I have no kids, no wife, no heavy debts other than my mortgage and a couple of car loans...so with a decent paying day gig, I am very lucky that I can afford to indulge my GAS.
And some opt for fancy leather seats in their 'super ride. ;)

Studio01.jpg

Sweet!

Studio05.jpg

Holy shi**... No no That just ain't right.

Nobody ..but nobody.. Put catsup on a hot dog.
:p

And, none complete w/o..
View attachment 98045

Damn cats!
I have a cover on my console to prevent cat hair, and even worse, hairball puke from invading my precious electronics.

But still.....sometimes it takes 15 minutes to find exactly which button or combination of buttons the idiots pushed with their paws.

Hmmmm. Winter's coming. A nice black fur hat would come in handy.

Damn cats!
I have a cover on my console to prevent cat hair, and even worse, hairball puke from invading my precious electronics.

But still.....sometimes it takes 15 minutes to find exactly which button or combination of buttons the idiots pushed with their paws.

Someone's feeling left out..
DSCN1952.JPG
Riddy In The Case 1.JPG
DSCN0499.JPG

Attachments

• Cozy Back to Back 4 0523.JPG
    Cozy Back to Back 4 0523.JPG
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 1
Damn cats!

Cats seem to be a running theme through here.... except for Miro..... I'm betting he has a electronic cat zapper at the studio entrance.......

Nah, he has mascots too. But I'll bow out.
It's impolite to talk about other men's pussy cats.
Mine I can talk about with impunity. Three demons. Two females and one male. There is the illusion that cats are dignified, graceful and clean. Nothing could be further from the truth. Vindictive too! Can't tell you how many
Glasses of water forgotten on the counter have been knocked onto the floor. Shattered into a million bits while the vandal just gives you that 'what you gonna do about it, bitch?' Look.

Between them and my 85 lb. Rotty/ Shepard mix puppy trying to chew everything in sight.......well, well.

I might have to go Korean The hell with all this 'trendy sex change' bullshit, I'm going 'Racial Fluid'!!!!
Gonna go for a complete 'Racial Reassignment Procedure'!!!
Yup, going to learn how to BBQ.

Last edited:
I married a lady and specifically said said " I will divorce you if you ever want a cat"....... well we have one...... it will try to swipe a glass off, I'll tell it "no", it will look at me and do it anyway..... kinda like the woman I told that we'll never own a cat......

Now I love old porch dogs.... the problem is, is the first year they eat the porch!!!! Our's is 4 now, and settling in quite nicely.....

Brad

Felines. ....pure bastards. Right??
Mine tag team as well. The cat will knock sonething off the workbench, and then the dog will chew it up..

We had this place called "budgerland" (the dogs name is Budger). Well up to about the 2nd year, I could find whatever I was missing in budgerland... One day, I'm under the combine (I'm old and it takes me a while to get under there), and there goes Budger....walking off to budgerland with the wrench I need.... I call him, and he drops the wrench and comes running.... happy for the attention...

I don't miss those days......

Back