Techno-Archeology: TimeLine Product Documentation and Upkeep

[MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION] - Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I ever saw pictures, were they in some thread you could point out to me? Either way, it sounds as if the V-500 PROM was missing a vital option of some sort.
TimeLine product, V-model, 5.00 rev., 26E logic PROM rev., for device U16, 512......is it possible that the K5 or KS is in fact a scrawled "B", as in KB, as in 512kB? This would make more sense.
I thought of that, but the way it's written makes it look far more like a '5'.

2. If they referred to the same U number as the V-500 does. This would help us determine whether the PROM was intended for a different machine type or model number, and someone erroneously cloned it (and left it inserted) in your machine, or similar.

Perhaps, but it seems more likely to me that the previous owner was doing some kind of audio-video sync project. Incidentally I've just remembered - the V500 boots up with something like 'Editor 0' on the display. You can change the number or select it to make it go away, but it was just a hindrance to what I'm doing with them. U16 is the socket where the ROM is on both machines IIRC. There's an empty socket next to it and a jumper, so it might allow for some weird configuration where the ROM is split across two chips, I don't know. But yes, when I open the machine I'll take a photo of the ROM label.

If you want to rename the files, go ahead - I agree that spaces are a bad idea, use underscores if necessary.

The picture was posted on this thread:
Fabricating Timeline Micro Lynx transport cables

...however the attachment has gone the way of those PDFs. Fortunately I was sufficiently pleased with the pictures that I also posted them on Twitter:
Tapewolf on Twitter: "Inside a TimeLine Lynx Mk1. Every single chip is socketed.… "

This at least tells me that when I get around to it, it's the right-hand unit which needs opening to see the ROM markings, because this one is the copy with my handwriting on it.

[MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION] - Man that is really disheartening about your jpg's being gone from that critical post!

I just commented on the situation over at the thread about the server move that was linked to earlier:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/speci...feedback/moving-servers-397617/4/#post4481058
[MENTION=101872]timkroeger[/MENTION] - Check this bummer deal out! [MENTION=94267]miroslav[/MENTION] - likewise [MENTION=79692]sweetbeats[/MENTION] - likewise

[MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION] - <<U16 is the socket where the ROM is on both machines IIRC. There's an empty socket next to it and a jumper, so it might allow for some weird configuration where the ROM is split across two chips, I don't know.>>

I think you are correct about the two EPROM sockets. I believe it's referred to in Service Bulletin SB-92-019 (73C026-A)(03-10-1994). This should be in our collection as a PDF...that is, unless it too has been turned into a single white dot!:(

FYI everyone - The editing feature has (for now) returned to normal. The file I wasn't able to upload for post #62 was the schemo for the Ampex MM1200, and it has been re-uploaded successfully. Please let me know if any other PDF's were turned into white microdots, and I'll repair them (@glava).

[MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION], or anybody, would you mind taking a look at page 4 of the "Fabricating...Cables" thread to see if a photo submitted by timkroeger (embedded in post #33) appears, or do you see a blue question mark or similar indicating a missing file?

Also, I'm not seeing any of the pics submitted by sweetbeats in post #37 (1 pic, I think), and post #38 (11 pics, if I'm not mistaken).
Steenamaroo has verified that Firefox (my current browser) doesn't seem to show any indication of missing files (he sees a blue question mark in place of them using a different browser), so that's why I can't tell how many missing pics there are, but I thought I remembered the counts I listed above.

[MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION], or anybody, would you mind taking a look at page 4 of the "Fabricating...Cables" thread to see if a photo submitted by timkroeger (embedded in post #33) appears, or do you see a blue question mark or similar indicating a missing file?

Also, I'm not seeing any of the pics submitted by sweetbeats in post #37 (1 pic, I think), and post #38 (11 pics, if I'm not mistaken).
Steenamaroo has verified that Firefox (my current browser) doesn't seem to show any indication of missing files (he sees a blue question mark in place of them using a different browser), so that's why I can't tell how many missing pics there are, but I thought I remembered the counts I listed above.

They're working here.

What the heck? I have no idea what's going on, maybe it's my browser. jpmorris, would you mind copy/pasting the source url's for timkroeger's pic, and the url for one of sweetbeats pics?

Thanks again jpmorris. Odd, quirky bug this is, I think.

I see your direct URL listings above, (original URL's), the pointers (links) seem to be working fine (the links are unbroken), yet the same links in the "Fabricating..." thread seem to be incapable of being parsed properly. They (the attachment.php?...links) appear in Firefox if examining the affected page using the "View Page Info>Media" tab, but no evidence of them appears visibly in the browser window. Maddening.

I wish I understood the issues more clearly, but from a expected behavior standpoint- it seems like a bug, not a "feature" of permissions nor security.

Thank you and ISO System Supervisor info

So first off, thank you to all who have put this together - it has been huge finding this information. I recently have become the proud parent of a lot (both ways) of TimeLine modules. Through some searching for even a pair I came across a sale of 4 Lynx 1's, 4 Lynx 2's and a Lynx System Supervisor. Of course no manuals and no cabling and I haven't used one since 2000, thus why coming across this forum was so important. I will not have access to them for another week due to scheduling but was wondering if anyone had info on the System Supervisor. I have never seen one, let alone used it. I am not sure what will become of all of these, we only needed a pair to connect our A827 to Pro Tools/Logic Pro but the deal was all or nothing. Again, I will have more information in the coming weeks, but would appreciate any response about the System Supervisor. If I find anything to add to this great resource I certainly will.

Regards,

Aaron

Hi Tape Wolf, I have 2 Timeline Lynx modules that I am trying to sync with a Tascam MS16. My units only support up to Tascam 40 (V-500 26/B V16 512k) and I need Tascam 60. I was hoping for a ROM image to have programmed onto an eprom to solve my problems. Is there anywhere I can get these files? Or even the ROMs already loaded. any help would be appreciated.

Garry

Hi Tape Wolf, I have 2 Timeline Lynx modules that I am trying to sync with a Tascam MS16. My units only support up to Tascam 40 (V-500 26/B V16 512k) and I need Tascam 60. I was hoping for a ROM image to have programmed onto an eprom to solve my problems. Is there anywhere I can get these files? Or even the ROMs already loaded. any help would be appreciated.

Garry

For now, they are still where I left them:
http://it-he.org/temp/LYNX500.BIN
http://it-he.org/temp/LYNXL410.BIN

Both images include TASC-60 support.

Just checking, are you positive it doesn't have TASC-60 support? IIRC you select TASC-40 and there's a modifier button to flick between the TASCAM models, (but I can't remember what). Mine are mostly acting as timecode displays and regenerators at this point so I don't configure them much anymore.

Wow, Thanks for superquick response. I have selected tasc-40 but I am unaware of a modifier button. on holding the set up button, there are parameters for phase,editor, and r-out as well as the machine selects, but I cannot find reference to these other parameters in the basic manual I have. I will find out which models the eproms are and have them programmed. do you have any recommendations as to which image to use?

Thanks Garry

I have been using the MS16 through a XRi or JP cooper with cubase SX for drum machines and midi keyboards ect, occasionally some audio for effects etc. The sync has been poor really but if i keep trying eventually I would get a decent lock, unreliable to be kind. I bought a couple of these lynx machines off ebay and synced using code only using PAL video lock. The results are very encouraging with a little phasiness. locks up almost perfectly
if I use the lynxes to stripe before anything goes onto tape. I have made up a cable to control the MS16 from the lynx, but cannot select the machine until I get these EPROMS sorted. Should have gone with the Lynx years ago.

Wow, Thanks for superquick response. I have selected tasc-40 but I am unaware of a modifier button. on holding the set up button, there are parameters for phase,editor, and r-out as well as the machine selects, but I cannot find reference to these other parameters in the basic manual I have. I will find out which models the eproms are and have them programmed. do you have any recommendations as to which image to use?Thanks Garry

CODE TYPE and REF SRC go backwards and forwards through the manufacturers. The up and down buttons beneath the display allow you to select the model.

As for the firmware images, I've got L410 on both units. Originally one of them had the 500 firmware, but it kept trying to start in video sync mode and needed to be configured on powerup. If your machines have a 500 series firmware that doesn't do this, I'd be interested in getting a copy!

So what/how are you synchronizing with if not with the Timelines...?

A TASCAM ATS-500. The whole story is earlier in the thread, but the short version is that the ATS-500 drives the TSR-8 via code-only lock, chasing the MX-80. I could probably get the Timelines to drive the MX80 chasing the TSR-8, but since this setup is working well enough for my needs, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have followed your instructions and yes, I found tasc-60, Thanks for your help. I would be interested in a controller if you have one for sale.
For info, both my linxs, on start up, stop on "vid-det" (video detect?) unless there is a valid video input, then they go straight to the time display screen. I presume this is the same as yours sorry.

Back