Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Techno-Archeology: TimeLine Product Documentation and Upkeep

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by brainditch View Post
    @jpmorris - Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I ever saw pictures, were they in some thread you could point out to me? Either way, it sounds as if the V-500 PROM was missing a vital option of some sort.
    TimeLine product, V-model, 5.00 rev., 26E logic PROM rev., for device U16, 512......is it possible that the K5 or KS is in fact a scrawled "B", as in KB, as in 512kB? This would make more sense.
    I thought of that, but the way it's written makes it look far more like a '5'.

2. If they referred to the same U number as the V-500 does. This would help us determine whether the PROM was intended for a different machine type or model number, and someone erroneously cloned it (and left it inserted) in your machine, or similar.
    Perhaps, but it seems more likely to me that the previous owner was doing some kind of audio-video sync project. Incidentally I've just remembered - the V500 boots up with something like 'Editor 0' on the display. You can change the number or select it to make it go away, but it was just a hindrance to what I'm doing with them. U16 is the socket where the ROM is on both machines IIRC. There's an empty socket next to it and a jumper, so it might allow for some weird configuration where the ROM is split across two chips, I don't know. But yes, when I open the machine I'll take a photo of the ROM label.

If you want to rename the files, go ahead - I agree that spaces are a bad idea, use underscores if necessary.

The picture was posted on this thread:
    Fabricating Timeline Micro Lynx transport cables

...however the attachment has gone the way of those PDFs. Fortunately I was sufficiently pleased with the pictures that I also posted them on Twitter:
    Tapewolf on Twitter: "Inside a TimeLine Lynx Mk1. Every single chip is socketed.… "

This at least tells me that when I get around to it, it's the right-hand unit which needs opening to see the ROM markings, because this one is the copy with my handwriting on it.

Thanks
    @jpmorris - Man that is really disheartening about your jpg's being gone from that critical post!

I just commented on the situation over at the thread about the server move that was linked to earlier:
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/special...4/#post4481058
    @timkroeger - Check this bummer deal out! @miroslav - likewise @sweetbeats - likewise

Thanks
    @jpmorris - <<U16 is the socket where the ROM is on both machines IIRC. There's an empty socket next to it and a jumper, so it might allow for some weird configuration where the ROM is split across two chips, I don't know.>>

I think you are correct about the two EPROM sockets. I believe it's referred to in Service Bulletin SB-92-019 (73C026-A)(03-10-1994). This should be in our collection as a PDF...that is, unless it too has been turned into a single white dot!

Thanks
    FYI everyone - The editing feature has (for now) returned to normal. The file I wasn't able to upload for post #62 was the schemo for the Ampex MM1200, and it has been re-uploaded successfully. Please let me know if any other PDF's were turned into white microdots, and I'll repair them (@glava).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to brainditch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good, the pictures are back too

Thanks
    @jpmorris , or anybody, would you mind taking a look at page 4 of the "Fabricating...Cables" thread to see if a photo submitted by timkroeger (embedded in post #33) appears, or do you see a blue question mark or similar indicating a missing file?

Also, I'm not seeing any of the pics submitted by sweetbeats in post #37 (1 pic, I think), and post #38 (11 pics, if I'm not mistaken).
    Steenamaroo has verified that Firefox (my current browser) doesn't seem to show any indication of missing files (he sees a blue question mark in place of them using a different browser), so that's why I can't tell how many missing pics there are, but I thought I remembered the counts I listed above.

Thanks
    @jpmorris , or anybody, would you mind taking a look at page 4 of the "Fabricating...Cables" thread to see if a photo submitted by timkroeger (embedded in post #33) appears, or do you see a blue question mark or similar indicating a missing file?

Also, I'm not seeing any of the pics submitted by sweetbeats in post #37 (1 pic, I think), and post #38 (11 pics, if I'm not mistaken).
    Steenamaroo has verified that Firefox (my current browser) doesn't seem to show any indication of missing files (he sees a blue question mark in place of them using a different browser), so that's why I can't tell how many missing pics there are, but I thought I remembered the counts I listed above.
    They're working here.

Thanks
    What the heck? I have no idea what's going on, maybe it's my browser. jpmorris, would you mind copy/pasting the source url's for timkroeger's pic, and the url for one of sweetbeats pics?

Thanks
    What the heck? I have no idea what's going on, maybe it's my browser. jpmorris, would you mind copy/pasting the source url's for timkroeger's pic, and the url for one of sweetbeats pics?

Tim's pic
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/attachm...8&d=1514727292

One of Sweetbeats' pics:
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/attachm...774016&thumb=1

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jpmorris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks again jpmorris. Odd, quirky bug this is, I think.

I see your direct URL listings above, (original URL's), the pointers (links) seem to be working fine (the links are unbroken), yet the same links in the "Fabricating..." thread seem to be incapable of being parsed properly. They (the attachment.php?...links) appear in Firefox if examining the affected page using the "View Page Info>Media" tab, but no evidence of them appears visibly in the browser window. Maddening.

I wish I understood the issues more clearly, but from a expected behavior standpoint- it seems like a bug, not a "feature" of permissions nor security.

Thread Information