Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Techno-Archeology: TimeLine Product Documentation and Upkeep

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    That's weird...the JPEG and PDF files I've uploaded in the past are MUCH larger than 64KB...most be something with DOC files....?

Thanks
    Yeah, maybe the IT guys are worried that large DOC files might contain a virus, or something?

Thanks
    The same limit goes for the TXT files, which is why mine are still MIA. The Lynx files are exactly 64K converted to raw binary, but uploading those as TXT files is wrongheaded and IMHO likely to break when the forum software changes.

For now I've put them here:
    http://it-he.org/temp/LYNX500.BIN - Lynx MK1 v5.00
    http://it-he.org/temp/LYNXL410.BIN - Lynx MK1 v4.10

...but it would be nice to have somewhere else to put them. I didn't see an obvious way to contribute to the synth ROM place. I also have dumps of the Otari MX80 and its remotes, the MSR-24, the ATS-500 and the A807, but those seem a little beyond the purview of this thread.
    Last edited by jpmorris; 2 Days Ago at 04:51.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmorris View Post
    I also have dumps of the Otari MX80 and its remotes...
    Mind sharing them?
    Which model remote...124 or 140?

Oh...I assume those are for the Lynx...not the Microlynx?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I don't think you need to "convert" them...just rename them... xxxx.BIN to xxxx.TXT ...and then make a note to everyone that once they download them, to rename them back to xxx.BIN.

Now...is there some scanning of files on this BBS to where a renamed file would still be "discovered" not to be a TXT file...?
    I doubt it...and I've been doing the rename thing for years.
    That said...many sites now employ email security that DOES actually scan the files, so it's hard for instance to attach an .EXE by renaming it to .TXT if the email system is blocking .EXE attachments. Maybe they scan/block here too...or maybe they just look at the file extension...???

Hey...try one rename...if it doesn't work, you'll know right away.
    With regard to converting files so that they will attach (and sometimes you can't attach ANY effing thing!)? if Your own/have access to a printer/scanner the software can usually convert almost anything to anything. My Brother 7055 is set to default to .pdf.

Another trick but only really of use for single or very few pages is Screen Print>Paint>Paste> Save as.

(sorry if there are grannies here and I am talking the egg thing!)

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Mind sharing them?
    Which model remote...124 or 140?

Oh...I assume those are for the Lynx...not the Microlynx?
    CB120 and CB140.

I've updated the links to clarify what I've uploaded.

Thanks
    @jpmorris -I just downloaded the .BIN's for posterity, and thank you for the first EPROM submissions!
    I'm sorry if I gave anyone false hope with my little test file, somehow I thought that the IT guys were looking to screen out the (usually larger) .DOC files due to Macro viruses and the like, and unfortunately I didn't immediately test it out with a larger file size. Again I apologize for the oversight. We'll figure out a better solution eventually, but merely passing the files around through a method such as you found is better for ensuring their longevity than not doing it at all. Thanks again!

@ecc83 - Thanks for stopping by, and those methods you suggested are useful for preserving/converting certain image files and text files. I only wish we could guarantee their utility for converting .TXT files to PDF and back again for use as a means of storing raw binary files that we are attempting to archive as backups to our older EPROMs from our hardware units. Hmm....I'll go looking now to see if that's possible even.
    Last edited by brainditch; 2 Days Ago at 09:22. Reason: format

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmorris View Post
    CB120 and CB140.

I've updated the links to clarify what I've uploaded.
    What's the 120 remote for..?
    Is that the Autolocator?

When you get a chance...add their BIN files.

I'm going to sometime soon, pick up EPROM reader/write/eraser kit, and pull the BIN data off my MX80.
    I have the latest version data, at least I'm 99% sure it is...because all my EPROMs where redone by my Otari tech when he was rebuilding the 140 remote I have...and he also sent me new EPROMs for the 124 remote and the audio card...since everything had to be on the same page.

AFA where to store all the files...if we doesn't work to just attach them here...I can put them all on my commercially hosted website server. They would be safe there for as long as maintain my site...which is indefinitely at this point, or until I drop dead and my hosting subscription expires, and they spend a couple of months sending notices....and then finally shut it down.
    Last edited by miroslav; 2 Days Ago at 11:07.

Thanks
    @miroslav - That's a very generous offer to the group, and thanks for offering to help us have an alternative spot for the EPROM BIN files.

@jpmorris -
    uploading those as TXT files is wrongheaded and IMHO likely to break when the forum software changes.
    I'm not sure in what way the idea would be wrongheaded- the filename extension used or the likelihood that newer forum software would test the files for legitimacy?

Thanks
    I'll leave it to you to corral all the data/info into whatever organized fashion you like...since you're gung-ho right now...
    ...and if you need me to drop it on my website hosting server...I can create a folder there, no problem.

It would probably be more "permanently archived" if all the data/info could be dropped here, since I assume this BBS will/should last well into the future, in one form or another...but if there's some kind of upload issues for some things here, I can host just those items, or the whole enchilada.

There's not really all that much in total size...and the amount of download traffic would be minimal, since we've established that this stuff is becoming a very small niche area of interest to new folks coming into the recording world...so it's not going cause any bandwidth issues no matter where it is.

TBH...since I already have most of the Timeline schematics and manuals...adding BIN/TXT/DOC files will not be a big deal...I just want to set it up and provide a link if I end up hosting it for posterity, rather than just keeping copies for my own piece of mind.

Thread Information