TEAC /TASCAM 2 track reel to reel models ...

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hi,

Can someone please enlighten me as to the various *smaller* sized reel to reel models from TEAC /TASCAM ? I found just one such machine from TASCAM - the 22-2 and also from TEAC - the x-300, x-7, x-10 ... I am aware that these from TEAC have slightly narrower tracks and speeds of up to 7 1/2 ips only but that's fine. I'm just looking for a 2 track machine which has the dimensions of the 22-2 or thereabouts. Btw, has anyone the info about the various TEAC models which fit my criteria ? Are there any others, from TEAC/TASCAM, which I didn't mention ?

Thanks!

Daniel

Daniel,

The key difference between the 22-2 and it's TEAC brethren, consumer models is the track format and tape speed.

The 22-2 is a professionally NAB formated 1/2 track stereo deck, running at 15 ips and calibrated for 320 Nanoweber NAB standards for pro use and the 300 series TEAC model is a 4 track stereo deck running 250 nanoweber IEC eq @ 7.5 ips.

The 300 at it's best speed setting will only sound as good as your TASCAM 34 at the 34's slower speed setting, which is still pretty good compared to a cassette deck.

A 300 deck will natively play you prized Elvis tape. The 22-2 will not.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
Daniel,

The key difference between the 22-2 and it's TEAC brethren, consumer models is the track format and tape speed.

The 22-2 is a professionally NAB formated 1/2 track stereo deck, running at 15 ips and calibrated for 320 Nanoweber NAB standards for pro use and the 300 series TEAC model is a 4 track stereo deck running 250 nanoweber IEC eq @ 7.5 ips.

The 300 at it's best speed setting will only sound as good as your TASCAM 34 at the 34's slower speed setting, which is still pretty good compared to a cassette deck.

A 300 deck will natively play you prized Elvis tape. The 22-2 will not.

Thanks once again Jeff!

Say, do you by any chance have one of those TEAC reel to reel brochures that you can share with me ?

Thanks! :)

Daniel

cjacek said:
Thanks once again Jeff!

Say, do you by any chance have one of those TEAC reel to reel brochures that you can share with me ?

Thanks! :)

Daniel
I might have one but, it is buried in my closet in a pile of papers and folders from better days.

If I find it, I will gladly turn it into a .pdf and send it your way.

The Ghost of FM said:
I might have one but, it is buried in my closet in a pile of papers and folders from better days.

If I find it, I will gladly turn it into a .pdf and send it your way.

GREAT! Thanks! :)

Daniel

The 22-2 is a great machine - specs out virtually the same as the 32-2 sound wise. It is one of the few decks from that time that can be setup for hotter tapes, like Quantegy GP9. By the way, older Fostex machines can't do it.

There's one more machine of interest if you're looking at the TEAC X-Series. Tascam built a reel-to-reel for Radio Shack about 1980. The Realistic TR-3000 is a slightly disguised X-3/X-300. It was built in the couple years between these two TEAC models.

It has nice round buttons instead of the thin rectangular ones on the X-Series. It also has the nicer knobs like the X-300.

Rumor has it that improvements in the TR-3000 over the X-3 resulted in the TEAC X-300 a couple years later.

Below are pics of the X-3 and the Realistic TR-3000

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/Shansqirt/TEAC_X3_1.jpg

http://www.concentric.net/~jeffcam/rsrtr.JPG

:cool:

Last edited:
Back