TEAC of America in Montebello, CA, is No More!

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
I don't know if they closed operations or moved, but the last time I drove through LA, I wondered why I never saw the TEAC sign, which is at least 100ft up in the air, above the freeway. Next day I drove through again, and I noticed it said "EMPIRE Cleaning Supplies". The building had been repainted.

I've not been here much lately. Is this a known transition that has been discussed before? What of TEAC of America? Did they pull a FOSTEX on us?

:eek::spank::cool:

Last edited:
I've driven by it several times in the past decade...that ginormous "TEAC" sign. It lost something for me when I knew they had shut down the analog support department and let some good people go. But now it's gone altogether and that seems weird. One of the times I passed by it was in 2008 when I drove down from Oregon to pick up the Tascam "M-__" prototype console from forum member shoulderpain. I always felt neat knowing the console's birth place and wondering if there was still anything related to the console there...maybe technical documents shoved in an archive box shoved in a closet...or scrapped bits of test modules...I always had this dream of initiating some correspondence hopefully leading to a trip down there to see if there was anything related onsite. It probably couldn't have come to fruition...calls I made down there shortly after bringing the console home revealed no interest in my exciting acquisition, no solid information about the console or project...disinterest, really. But now for sure it won't happen...and if there actually was anything tucked away there it has gone in a dumpster. I feel kind of sad actually.

But no, Dave...this is the first I'm aware Teac in Montebello, CA is gone. They still have means of contacting them for support, parts, etc. I suspect they relocated operations to somewhere else...I suspect they are continuing to focus their products away from the professional or contractor markets. Their high definition field recorders are really the only product I've seen as of late that is high end. And to think it's the same company that produced the ATR80 2" tape machine...it was a really good machine.

The company that essentially created the home and project studio market, that doggedly innovated affordable open-reel and cassette multitrack units and mixing consoles for the everyman disappeared a long time ago in my crotchety brain.

This was a result of the building being sold and all that actually remains is a part department that when it is sold far enough will disappear. It is rented space. All service people there at the time were fired with only a couple of part people brought back because they needed them.
This would indicate the last of TCA but the parent Teac company still exists.
Gibson guitar bought the TCA to have a write off I think and the building has been sold maybe a year or more ago.

The people on Gage street are still operating an authorized service but from dealing with them myself and the other history of CA service performance,
you are better off dealing with real Technicians like Adrian Pro Audio, New Jersey factory Service or myself who has plenty of work now.
There is a large difference between those that take deposits and claim to be able to fix equipment and those that actually do it. I have worked on Teac products since 1982.

Hey Sky, your last paragraph was very informative. I am going to add you to my friends list and if I or anyone else I come across locally or in this community that could use your services, I will send them your way.

Adrian

Adrian Pro Audio in Canoga Park has always been highly recommended. They have been there at least since the 70s.

TEAC in Montebello is a write off. Very sad.

+1 on Adrian and Russ @ NJFS.I have dealt with them for over 25 years.There is no service being done at the Gage address,it's all going next door on Telegraph to a different company.

It's good that there are knowledgeable people still around.

As to Teac? When Gibson bought them that signaled the begining of the end.

Edit: Maybe not the beginning of the end. That started some time ago. More like last nail in the coffin. :D

Back