Teac 80-8 wood side panel dimensions?

jglasserbell

Funny, I picked this up with the intention that I would repair it and flip it to fund my “need” to reacquire a 388. After two days of work on this thing, I track my first song through the Teac Model 5 and 80-8 and I don’t want for a 388 any longer; this thing sounds so great, it almost feels like I’m cheating to get the sounds I want.

So, it definitely stays. It was rack mounted though, and side dress panels are long gone, so I’ve got to make some. Anyone have the dimensions? I’ve searched for awhile and come up with nothing.

You should compare the overall dimensions in the 80-8 specs (you can find manuals online) to a Teac 3340 or a couple of other similar models....I wouldn't be surprised that they are the same size, and therefore the panels would be the same size...in which case you can find 3340 wood panel on the internet/eBay.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to find one with similar dimensions. There may be a couple of decks that are close in size, but the depth seems to vary quite a bit.

Also, I probably wouldn’t be interested in buying some side dress panels when it’s something that’s so easy to DIY.

Make a paper pattern. Maybe use wax paper as it's translucent. This way you can get the mounting holes right. Make some panels out of walnut and you're golden.
Or.....you could rack it.
Did they make some rack rails or was it just on a rack shelf?

Unfortunately, I’m not able to find one with similar dimensions. There may be a couple of decks that are close in size, but the depth seems to vary quite a bit.

Also, I probably wouldn’t be interested in buying some side dress panels when it’s something that’s so easy to DIY.

Well I thought maybe you might want to find OEM wood panels for it and that other models might have the same dimensions, since I often see wood panels for like the 3340, etc...but since you really want to make your own...how hard or imprecise is it to just measure off the deck as it is...?
I mean...since you're building your own, as long as the holes are lined up and it all fits, you're free to make it a little bigger or thicker, etc...it won't matter that it's not 100% identical to the OEM. :)
IOW...you decide if you want the edges to be flush with the metalwork...or if they will stick out a bit (watch the front edges with the reels).

My Otari 5050 came with the black "wood" side panels...but then I found the stock metal rack-mounting panels, so I swapped them out and put it in the rack.
I like it nice and secure, and I don't need to get to the back of it, it's all going to my patchbay.

Ah, you’re right! I suppose it doesn’t have to be to OEM spec. For some reason I was hung up on that detail, but I’m just going to make them flush with the edges of the machine.

This machine came with rack rails in a custom wood veneered box... thing, as offered by Teac when it was new. That’s how the original owner ordered it, so this machine never had side panels, afaik. I’ve got a brochure from ‘78 that has a picture of the entire setup. Would love to post a pic l, but I don’t know how on this forum!

I have a 3440 sitting here with its wood. I can measure it up for you if you like?

You can have it in Imperial (GB) Si or Cubits!

Dave.

I’m not surprised you like the sound of the 80-8 better than the 388. For starters, with double the tape width and double the tape speed it’s got 4x the tape real estate over the 388. I always liked the sound of the 3340S I used to have. The 80-8 has a similar amplifier design. It’s semi-discrete. Anyway, enjoy.

Back