TEAC 80-8 prices ??

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Guys, I'm in a bit of dilema .... I have a chance to pick up a nice 80-8, locally, but the seller is pulling out a price out of thin air it seems ... I know what these machines go for usually, in average cond, and I can go on and on telling the seller the real deal when it comes to pricing BUT I need to SHOW him examples of what the 80-8 is worth. I went to PrePal and the TEAC 80-8 is not listed. I went to completed items on eBay but only 1 beat up 80-8 showed up with a NR unit and remote and ended at $200. That's obviously not enough to show the seller a good example such as prepal would or if a bunch of 80-8's just ended on ebay. My initial idea was to show a prepal printout plus one from the ended items but now it seems a lost cause. Can you guys suggest anything ?

Thanks!

Daniel

What's he asking for the thing?

Just because it was used by Boston doesn't mean it should be worth a grand or anything.

400 is reasonable, I'd say, for a properly maintained 80-8. Even that may be pushing it.........who knows?

-callie-

I dont think I would go over 300 on a 80-8. Since 38,s are just al little more.
But if its real nice I guess there is a lot to be said about being able to see it touch and test it before you buy it. Plus it wont get beat to hell from the devil UPS.
Sorry I just had to add that last thing about ups being the devil.

Thanks guys and I always appreciate your input but I need to show him some "hard evidence" as to prices ... Anyone know of something like prepal that lists the 80-8 or did someone perhaps save some completed listings on eBay ? That last one is a stretch but still .... ;)

The guy has 2, one in excellent shape and the other works but it's more of a parts machine. He wants the equivalent of $730 USD for both. He tells me that he paid double that in 2001 and I know he overpaid obviously. Now, I guess, he has seller's remorse or somethin' ...... Here's what he said: "When I purchased the machines (used), it was half of their individual market value (2001) if you would let me know what you feel market value is in 2005, I would certainly consider selling one of them to you at that price. I would like to be rid of them."

Note: initially, he wanted to sell both but I said I can't take 2 and I guess he's open to selling only the one now ....

Voila ..

~Daniel

Take him to ebay and show him some of the 38,s that are on there and show him how much the newer ones are going for and that should help.
There was a nice 38 in the original box go for about 135.00 the other day.

Daniel, I can go on and on on the subject...;)
But you need to make a decision.... so, I'd simply say: tell the guy: "I will buy one unit (the good one) for $300 ...(keep in mind $350 maximum). Period." If he sais: "no", then Tell him: "well, I'll have to think about it", and end the conversation. If you get contacted by him again ...then you may tell ...:"OK, $350... that's it. I can't pay more."
If he sais - NO, Then forget about it. Just let it go, really.
If you have $400 to spend or so... just hunt for 38 or even msr-8 .... you can get one... maybe not as soon as you wish...though

btw, I'd say there's nothing really wrong if someone asking somewhat high price for a vintage machine. There may be something more to it than just "market value".... you know how it goes. I can tell myself that I would not give up any of my vintage gear for anywhere near "market value" - forget it! no way. Well, unless someday I simply give up on all this crap and simply will have no interest what so ever. This happens to people all the time - boiling passions sometimes evaporate and disappear like morning fog in and you've got the "best seller you can find" ....
the bottom line - look for a seller who has no interest in the item he/she is selling, even better yet - look for a seller who has no interest nor knowledge :D If a guy tells you a story about old days, values and about how great the item is/was etc etc.... you have very little chance on getting a good deal, and as for so called "great care for the unit" through out the years of use and love - I'd say: "yeah, right!", we all know what loving care may look like in real WORKING studio.... so.... well, you know :)

ohhhh, also, I may be wrong, but I think that presentation of "hard evidence" would not do much good for you in the situation.... Just name your price, deal with the situation on the "sell-buy" level... no deeper than that, if you know what I mean.

/respects

Thanks again guys! I'll let you know what happens next and give you a nice update soon, I hope ;)

~Daniel

I paid 4 bucks for the privilege. I hope someone else finds this helpful. ;)

Attachments

• teac80-8alt.jpg
    teac80-8alt.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 71
Got one for sale here in the bay area. I think its been listed twice on Craigslist for $375 and hasn't sold, yet. I regularly see 38's for $325-$350, as well.

Isn't the 80-8 supposed to be a sturdier build than the 38? I've never used either, but that was my understanding of it. 80-8 was aimed at a more pro target while the 38 was aimed at what we'd call prosumer today.

-C

Chris Shaeffer said:
Isn't the 80-8 supposed to be a sturdier build than the 38?
it IS sturdier... I'd say, not by virtue of having pro/con-targets in mind but rather simply by virtue of time. Once upon a time people knew how to and cared about building things... - I mean, BUILDING! :D

where are all those "More aluminum than ever!"-com.ads nowdays? :)
HERE IS ONE
....MUST see!
:D :D :D

Chris Shaeffer said:
Isn't the 80-8 supposed to be a sturdier build than the 38? I've never used either, but that was my understanding of it.
-C

I've seen the word "overbuilt" used when describing the 80-8. I also recall reading on rec.audio.pro that the transport and electronics on the 80-8 are much better vs the 38. However, the 38 is newer .... I'll admit that if built at the same time, I'd go with the 80-8 in a heart beat based solely on what I've read and my limited hands on experience with one. Hell, I'd go with one anyway! :D That beast is nearly 80 lbs!!! :eek:

~Daniel

Chris Shaeffer said:
Got one for sale here in the bay area. I think its been listed twice on Craigslist for $375 and hasn't sold, yet. I regularly see 38's for $325-$350, as well.

Isn't the 80-8 supposed to be a sturdier build than the 38? I've never used either, but that was my understanding of it. 80-8 was aimed at a more pro target while the 38 was aimed at what we'd call prosumer today.

-C
The 80-8 is in a different league than a 38 in every way. The price depends on wear, overall condition and headwear. A mint machine (with the 8 ch DBX) would be worth a grand easy considering these machines were incredibly well built. You just have to consider the headwear since new heads cost WAAAY more than a complete machine. Most of the $300 machines will be well used and if you can't get a head report from JRF, you only stand to lose $300.

One thing to be aware of upfront. These machine have relays on every card (16 total) and the dbx has them too. If these relays are in miserable condition, you are in for mucho problems and an expensive fix. Read up on the 80-8 and try to test the functions carefully. The head wear is a tough one, but I would say if it records and plays back on tracks 1 and 8 (same level) then the heads are probably OK. These are the tracks that tend to "go away" first when the heads are tired. This is a great machine when working right but a total frustration when not. Pay attentiion to the sound on all channels as the electrolytic caps might be dried out. If so, you will hear some swishing noises, some random hiss, clicks, pops etc. Power up the machine cold and try all transport functions. Do the same with it warmed up. The transport should work fine cold or hot. When the 80-8's transport motors get tired, they onlt work OK when warmed up.

There are tons of things I am probably forgetting.

Good Luck.

Back