TEAC 80-8 DIY control cable for connection to DX-8D DBX unit. Need pin config.

JasonG

I have a TEAC 80-8 that doesn't have the 11 pin DBX control cable and a DX-8D DBX unit. I have the parts to make the cable but am having a hard time figuring out the pin configuration (which number pin on the male plug goes to which upper or lower contact on the 80-8 pc board) and I'm hoping someone who's been to this rodeo before or who has an 80-8 with the original DBX control cable could assist me. Thanks.

Diy DX-8 control cable success!!

I finally got someone who was kind enough to check the connections on their cable and now after examining the correct pinout and the schematics it has become quite obvious that the Dx-8 schematic is not for the remote jack. It is for the channel card connections. That's why there are 12 pins and not 11. All of the connection info for the control cable is on the 80-8 schematic and the only pins that may have required some guesswork are 10 and 11. The edge card connector that goes to the 80-8 is labeled DA DB DC DE DF top row and D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 bottom row. pins 1-8 are clearly marked to each connection. If you find the pin that puts out 5v on the 80-8 pcb you will know for certain that one goes to D6 which happens to connect to pin 10. Pin 9 coming from the DX-8 has 12v on it so you can safely assume that is the REC DC RETURN which goes to DA. I modified the diagram that was given to me to correspond with the 80-8 schematic.
Here is that diagram and pics of the connector cable I made:
mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

So close!

I finally got someone who was kind enough to check the connections on their cable and now after examining the correct pinout and the schematics it has become quite obvious that the Dx-8 schematic is not for the remote jack. It is for the channel card connections. That's why there are 12 pins and not 11. All of the connection info for the control cable is on the 80-8 schematic and the only pins that may have required some guesswork are 10 and 11. The edge card connector that goes to the 80-8 is labeled DA DB DC DE DF top row and D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 bottom row. pins 1-8 are clearly marked to each connection. If you find the pin that puts out 5v on the 80-8 pcb you will know for certain that one goes to D6 which happens to connect to pin 10. Pin 9 coming from the DX-8 has 12v on it so you can safely assume that is the REC DC RETURN which goes to DA. I modified the diagram that was given to me to correspond with the 80-8 schematic.
Here is that diagram and pics of the connector cable I made:
mail

mail

mail

mail

mail

Ahhh Jason, you are the answer to my prayers...but your pics have expired. I know it's been a while but could you pleaseeee repost them? In the process of building this cable myself but can't quite fine an accurate pinout....

Sorry Gregoramaa, the server went down on the sight that was hosting the photos. I will try to find them and repost.

Back