Teac A-3340S Record EQ question--

Muckelroy

I was calibrating my friend's Teac A-3340S, and came across a stumbling block when calibrating the record EQ.

PROBLEM -- too much high end coming out of the record head. Record EQ tweaker does nothing to alter the level.

(BTW, using a +3dB MRL cal tape, and using 407 tape to record with. I'm using the oscillator of my Otari MX-5050 to generate test tones for calibrating record levels. Using the sub-ins and the master meters on a tascam M-308 as external metering of the tape output, to double check level consistency, etc. After I calibrated the repro levels, EQ, n such, I ran it into the sub-in of the mixer, noted the level, and then ran the otari test tone output into that same sub in, and set the oscillator level accordingly to match that 0dB level on the meters, for consitency's sake. Also, I've kept the output and line-in knobs at high noon throughout this process.)

The Repro levels and meter cal's all calibrated smoothly, and so did the bias and record levels. But when I bussed a 0db 10K signal to the thing, recorded, and monitored from the repro head, I could not get the meters to quit peaking out, not matter what I did with the rec EQ pots.

I've noticed also, that when recording onto the thing, there's a GREAT deal of SIBILANCE, hissy high end in the recordings. So obviously, this issue is affecting the recording performance of the thing, and making some excessive noise.

There is one tweaker I haven't touched due to not knowing what the crap it does -- Bias trim, or trap, or something. It's found on all of the repro cards and record cards, and I'm not sure if this would affect the high end record levels or not -- The only bias adjustment I made was on the bias card, the tweaker labeled "H". I adjusted that tweaker accordingly for the record bias.

No, I don't have a user's manual. I'm going off of instructions I've found online for basic analog calibration. Maybe there's some special thing you have to do with the bias trim tweakers, or something :confused: Anyone?

-callie-

Back