teac 3340s 4 track reel to reel recorder

carl james

does any one in the los angeles- pasadena san fernando area know of a repair shop for Teac 3340 s- 4 track reel to reel - it powers up but the play ff and rew stopped working!!!HELP

Teac Service is just down the way, about 30 minutes.

TASCAM America (USA) Offices
TEAC America, Inc.
7733 Telegraph Rd., Montebello, CA 90640

Customer Service
For assistance with the operation of your TASCAM equipment, contact:
(323) 726-0303 x617
CustSer@tascam.com Parts Department

To order replacement owner's manuals, service manuals or spare parts from TASCAM, contact: (323) 727-4840
parts@tascam.com

Repair
To set-up a repair for your TASCAM product, contact:
tascamrepair@tascam.com

Literature
To request product literature and/or a full line catalog, contact:
tascamlit@tascam.com

Feel free to email us at: tascamweb@tascam.com

===========

info gotten off the Tascam website, at

www.tascam.com

===========

Teac's not that far from Pasadena. It's just down the 5, and off at Slauson. It's right off the freeway, and you can't miss it. Teac Service will fix your machine. When you get your electro mechanical problem worked on, you might want them to tune up the record/playback circuits too.

Anyway, FYI, when the play, FF and RW all don't work, then often it's something common, like the hub-brakes. The hub brakes are supposed to release during play, FF & RW, but there's a rubber washer in the brake solenoid that can become sticky, and prevent the brakes from releasing. In this case, the fix would be to remove, disassemble, clean and reassemble the brake solenoid. This is just one example, but it's something that happened to me, on my Tascam 38.

Also, check that the capstan spins when you lift the right tension arm. The capstan should spin when the right tension arm is lifted, and if it doesn't, this would indicate that the capstan-drive belt is broken, or has fallen off.

Both of these examples of R/R malfunctions involve rubber parts, being deteriorated. This is common on older decks, so look for the simpler things, like belts & rubber parts, before suspecting the motors and power supplies & stuff like that. Good luck. /DA

check all of the above 9 out of 10 times old teac gear is easy to work on and most times it is easy to fix it your self, then to take it to the service center.

thanks for the heads up,
i just bought a 3340s on ebay and it needs the pinch roller, i have just sent an email to the link below, very much apprieciated.
I will be using this unit to mix down from my Tascam 388 Studio 8.
thanks again!

PS seeing i live in Northern Ohio i will look for a service dealer here to bring the unit back up to specs. :cool:

Probably the switch on the R-tension arm is broken inside.
Does it have the "dummy-plug" on the back where the remote control connecting plug is, that can also prevent transport funtion. :cool:

Very impressed with the dialogue and assistance responses here , re these TEAC A-3340S issues . Envious too .... I'm in Australia & service / parts for these vintage reel-to-reel machines is not easy to find here . Wish I had a TASCAM Service Depot a bit closer to me as " A Reel Person" above advised .. I likely have a motor to replace on my A-3340S , the one that runs 'rewind' ( all else on my TEAC is going fine , as per normal .. So I'm searching for one new or reconditioned rewind motor . A great Unit this TEAC Tape Deck @ 30 years old now ... nothing lasts that long anymore ... Cheerio guys ...

Very impressed with the dialogue and assistance responses here , re these TEAC A-3340S issues . Envious too .... I'm in Australia & service / parts for these vintage reel-to-reel machines is not easy to find here . Wish I had a TASCAM Service Depot a bit closer to me as " A Reel Person" above advised .. I likely have a motor to replace on my A-3340S , the one that runs 'rewind' ( all else on my TEAC is going fine , as per normal .. So I'm searching for one new or reconditioned rewind motor . A great Unit this TEAC Tape Deck @ 30 years old now ... nothing lasts that long anymore ... Cheerio guys ...

I have 2 3340's, though one is a parts deck. The sound is excellent! You ought to try and pick up a whole other deck for parts.

Back