TEAC 1/2 " 4 Track

Good Friend

I saw a teac 1/2 " 4 track on ebay a few months ago, what was that? They are rare im guessing, because its the only one ive ever seen.

I've seen two.

The most recent one was the ATR-60/4, and the previous was the Series 70/4,... both 1/2" 4-tracks. I bid on the ATR-60/4, but the reserve was too high.

Sometime about 3 or so years ago, I saw another ATR-60/4 bid for $500, and that was just my speed. Unfortunately, I didn't have the $500 to spare at that moment. It would have been a great deck to have.

I'm still watching eBay for the next ATR-60/4.

The Series 70/4 would have been fine. It was in fine condition, but in the end I'd rather have the newer ATR than the older Series 70. However, the Series 70/4 looked about as clean as could be. Someone got a great deal on that Series 70/4, for about $300.;)

You might see a Tascam 1/2" 4-track on eBay about once or twice a year.;)

1/2 " 4 track

Does it run at 15 or 7.5 or both? Ive seen alot of reel to reels online, but that one looked BAD ASS. And i already have other reel to reels with more tracks than that already.

Good Friend said:
I saw a teac 1/2 " 4 track on ebay a few months ago, what was that? They are rare im guessing, because its the only one ive ever seen.

These are home recorders at their finest. Expect decent sound but not anywhere near pro sound. They do very well at hobby sounding music.

Good Luck!

MCI2424 said:
These are home recorders at their finest. Expect decent sound but not anywhere near pro sound. They do very well at hobby sounding music.

Good Luck!

Nice to have someone who has done a side by side on these. Please tell us how thw sounds compaired between them.....

pro sound

Hey thanks! But guess what buddy? I FUCKING HATE "PRO SOUND"! Yeah thats right i said it... i think the pros are faggots that can only tell what is good art by something thats so easy to judge that any non artist can make a living at it! Yeah thats right i said it!! Meaning that any idiot can listen to something that sounds nice and say "that sounds nice". But only one in a million can write a decent song and record it creatively. You want to know what i hate more than anything in the world?!? The other human beings on this planet. Everyone has a turd to put in your hand everytime you turn around. Listen to me. I will never EVER EVER want to sound like you and your shitty bands and recordings. I HATE your music. As a matter of fact my whole drive in life is to seperate myself from the shit you fuckers put out and pass of as art and music. Just give a listen to any modern band. They all sound like shit and its all overproduced garbage. WHO CARES IF IT SELLS TO TEENAGE IDIOTS!?!? Hasnt life shown that teenagers are dumbfucks that judge everything with a mind that cant even understand sense of self in any way? Do you think i WANT to sound like the shit i hear over radio? I am in my early 20s and i would never EVER listen to anything but the oldies station. Modern music is for fucking faggots and if thats ok for you and your buddies thats fine with me. But dont lump me into that ego trip because it leads to nothing. Hey remember when everyone wanted giant solid metal vehicles in the 70s, you know, muscle cars and such? Well that shit went out of style. And now music made by non artistic non musicians, recorded by rich old men who buff up the sound beyond what a normal band could ever sound like is going out of style. Good riddance.

MCI2424 said:

Good Luck!

I really mean no disrespect to you as a person, as you are certainly welcome to an opinion and I know you won't mind if I voice mine with regards to the above statement: THIS IS COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT!

It'd be nice if you could at the very least ramp up some distinction on this board before making such blanket statements and calling 1/2" 4 recorders and the like "hobby sounding".

Also, "Pro Sound" is more what you get out of being a "Pro" at recording your "Sound" rather than the difference between minute details of how your recorder is built and what your track width is, within reason that is. Calling TASCAM multitrack Analog recorders "hobby sounding" is absurd. Compared to what ? Did you do a listenning A/B or are you going by paper specs ??

~Daniel

Last edited:
Wow. I had no idea a 1/2" 4 would draw such a strong emotional response.

MCI2424, welcome to the board. And welcome to your first introduction to the heat that can be generated by discussing the finer details between pro and non-pro gear around here.

:p Quite the way to get started, actually. I hope you enjoy your stay and that you stay a while.

Take care,
Chris

Yeah, okay.

What's not "pro" about a 1/2" 4-track?

It has 30% more track width than your MCI 2"/24.

Are you saying 4-track itself is not "pro"?

Is 24-track the only true "pro" format? :eek:

Btw, somethin' tells me MCI2424 is not a "legit" poster but is here to piss people off .... ;)

acorec, is that you ?? :D

cjacek said:
"Pro Sound" is more what you get out of being a "Pro" at recording your "Sound" rather than the difference between minute details of how your recorder is built ....
Not so, brother... ;)
"Pro Sound" is all about Equipment, equipment's price-tags, hot clients and profit. "Pro Sound" has really very little to do with sound. That's why it sucks.

/respects

Dr ZEE said:
Not so, brother... ;)
"Pro Sound" is all about Equipment, equipment's price-tags, hot clients and profit. "Pro Sound" has really very little to do with sound. That's why it sucks.

/respects

basically what someone like "MCI2424" would lead you to believe ? :D

evm1024 said:
Nice to have someone who has done a side by side on these. Please tell us how thw sounds compaired between them.....

Simple. I have owned/used damn near all of them. Tascam anything pales by comparison in quality/sound/reliability to any pro machine. Tape width alone does not mean a machine is good or bad period.

Back