Tascamm 488

thunderstation

I have an analague Tascam 488 - the older model not the MKll. It will not record or play. It will fast forward & rewind. However when I push play/record or play it starts for a second or two then stops - holding the buttons down gives me the same results. I took it to a service that specializes in older equipment and has serviced it before. I was told it was the motor and he could not locate one that would be compatible with this model. i think it came out in the 80's so finding a motor would be difficult.
Does anyone know why the porta-studio would forward & reverse but not record? Isn't that the same motor ?
I checked on line and the motors seemed to be way out of line for what the thing is worth. does anyone know where I can get an affordable and working motor for this?
It's a real fun unit to play with and I really enjoyed the results I was getting so I'd hate to moth-ball it. also i don't really want to go digital but may have to if I keep running into dead ends. I'm 64 years old and do have computer and some digital experience I'd just rather go analogue.
Thanks in advance to anyone reading this.

No, in PLAY/RECORD the tape is driven by the capstan motor. In FFWD/ REW it is driven by the spooling motor. Did you check the capstan belt? Failure of the capstan belt would result in your problem.

Don't forget many buy junkers, parts machines, and plain old boxes of parts when we have to. Trouble is that someone already salvaged the one part needed : )

I don't think I ever had a transport motor fail other than that time I rewound a stepper motor. Is that heat related in the 488 ?

I replaced the capstan belt a while ago. so I do not think it's that - I do have a spare so maybe I can look at it again (it wasn't fun).
also - the fellow that worked on it has worked on it before and he seemed pretty familiar with the operation. thanks for clearing up which motor runs which function.

Back