TASCAM Wallpaper

The next item could be found in almost every top end professional recording studio from the 1960's right up to the present day. Originally made by Teletronix, then bought out by Urei in the 70's and then later bought out again by Universal Audio, the LA-2A leveling amplifier has been a mainstay of top engineers and producers around the world. The version pictured here is a mid 70's issue but retained its original all tube design which Urei crafted into their own solid state versions of it which sold for almost as much as these ones do which incidentally fetch around $6-10K a piece on the used market!

Anyway, here's the Teletronix LA 2A...

View attachment 95446

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

That's nice! looks great Ghost!
I bet a mono drum track going through that thing would sound super sweet!
Wish I had the $$$ for all this cool old gear.

That's nice! looks great Ghost!
I bet a mono drum track going through that thing would sound super sweet!
Wish I had the $$$ for all this cool old gear.

Thanks! :)

Actually, its only the older vintage ones that go for the major bucks I mentioned in my previous post. Apparently new ones can be had for a mere 2 to 3 grand a piece! :D

Dreaming of a white Christmas? Some folks back around 1976 were probably dreaming of a White equalizer! :D

I picked the following unit because it had a number of really cool features such an active LC cap and coil arrangement which followed many of the same design principles of the legendary Pultec eq's from the 50 and 60's which made use of high end massive transformers mounted to the rear of the unit where a handful of custom frequency networks were contained. This one's unique because it offered 27 such circuits which were divided into 3 transformers which each had 9 separate windings paths along with a low noise pair of transistors to allow for the 10 db gain and cut structure from each of the 27 bands, all being controlled by sealed mil spec pots, all hand-made in Austin Texas!

Anyway, here's the White 4000 series (4001 model) 27 band eq...

View attachment 95512

Sony has made some weird looking products over the past 50 years or so and there's no shortage of weirdness in their microphone designs! This one piqued my curiosity because I had never seen such a large diaphragm condenser microphone as the one used on the C-500 model from the 70's. It also has 4 built in eq curves, 2 for music and 2 more for vocal work. The M1 pattern is essentially ruler flat from 20-20Khz with a maximum spl of 156 db! Handy I guess for recording jet engines at close range! Anyway, not sure of the original price on this mic but used ones in good shape can fetch upwards of 2 grand, so I guess they enjoy a good reputation in the pro audio world still.

Anyway, here's the Sony C-500 large diaphragm condenser microphone...

View attachment 95525

Whoah! That thing has a big butt! (I mean head)

But still, it would make J Lo envious. :D

Do you know if that was a good mic?

Whoah! That thing has a big butt! (I mean head)

But still, it would make J Lo envious. :D

Do you know if that was a good mic?
I've not knowingly heard one but this one in particular came from a collection of gear that belonged to a big time producer/engineer who worked with a lot of well known artists from the 70 and 80's so I'd hazard a guess that it came in useful from time to time for his projects.

In terms of visuals though, I thought it looked more like the USS Enterprise without the side engines. :)

Cheers! :

Here's another Sony studio condenser that's a bit more of a traditional design from 1968, the Sony C-38. Nice feature on this one was that it could either be phantom powered or by inserting a standard 9 volt rectangular battery in a swing out holder within the mic's lower body. Price-wise, these are also a bit more affordable with the average selling price on evilbay of around $750.

View attachment 95549

The end of 2015 is fast approaching and realized I have a few items that I've worked on but have yet to post them here. So, in no particular order, I'll post up a few of those to finish out the year.

First up, the Mini-Moog synth module which is a bit of a rare item as most of these had a keyboard attached to them where I guess with this one, the keyboard was optional. Anyway, here she be from a head on face view and front edge view with the panel opened up...

View attachment 95571

View attachment 95572

I think this will be the final entry for 2015 and may as well go out with a bang! :D

So with that in mind, here's a nice little 4 channel front end lunch box from Neve that can be had on the used market for a paltry 20 grand! :laughings:

Happy New Year everyone and thanks for all the kind words and thousands of views over this past year. ;)

View attachment 95598

Ah! 20k? No biggie, I'll cover that with my xmas bonus. :D
Happy new year to you and thanks for all your work.

Back in the middle of 2015, lonewhitefly< (an hr.com member here) picked up a couple of nice analog pieces, a Scully RtR and a very unique mixer from Martin Audio called the Sono Mix 601 from 1968, He's had it out at a repair shop for a while now and had agreed to take some pics of it for the wallpaper thread here but its still at the shop, as far as I know. Anyway, I did a bit of hunting around on the web and found an off angle shot of one which I believe is his actual unit from an old ebay auction page. I worked up a Frankenstein of the unit from that one image and will post that here as a place holder until his unit is back in his hands.

View attachment 95686

I was poking around the web earlier and think I found Ghost's photobucket page where a whole bunch of his wallpaper pics seem to be stored!

Analog Wallpaper by Jeff Peletz | Photobucket

Maybe this was the site he was talking about saying he would put together to make his wallpaper pics available to us? There's close to 500 images there!

Hope this helps for anyone needing their analog fix. :)

Back