TASCAM Wallpaper

Do you know what model number that is? I like the 16:9 format.

Its the LMD-7220W.

If you hover your mouse pointer over the image, I embedded that info into to picture.

And yes, very cool LCD dual 16x9 monitors in a rack mountable casing!

I wish they had those when I had my studio...would have been cool to set up a camera or two in my live room with the feed in the control room to keep track of stuff like telling a singer to back off the mic because I could've seen them eating it! Same goes for having a machine room and keeping an eye on the tape transports.

Best of all, no computers in the studio with this choice of gear! :D

Cheers! :)

yeh, Ive needed to do the same thing since I built my studio. Two separate rooms and no window between them. Ive gotten by, but sometimes it would be nice to see.

Ill have to start looking....

I've been meaning to do something like this for quite a while now and finally found the housing to hold all these extremely rare TASCAM goodies.

Introducing the TASCAM Fab 4. The only picture on earth which has the DL-20, CF-20, GA-40 & RS-20 all in one shot!

View attachment 93779

right click to download...

Last edited:
I covered the Scully 280 a while back in a rack mount format and this time its the 4 track, half inch 280-B in console format!

This one's a composite/Frankenstein assembly of 6 different images because there's no natural head on shot of one...until now! :)

View attachment 93837

Last edited:
I've covered some MCI pieces in the past and earlier today came across a fairly rare item called the JH-22 Phase Meter! This looks to be a handy and handsome alternative to an oscilloscope and is geared directly to the audio task of checking phase on your deck, your mixer or on your monitoring system as its equipped with +4 and -10 input terminals on the back of it and has its own internal standard power supply that plugs into the wall. Size-wise, its the same size as their remote controls for the JH-110 series decks.

Had to do a 2 image manual stitch of this as there's no natural head on shots of it available.

View attachment 93903

Drum machines. They're certainly not new to the current day world and every last one of them are digital. But if we time warp back to the 1960's, drum machines were indeed around and in analog form but usually could only be found hiding inside of your rich aunt's Bontempi organ in the parlor! :D

Well, there were also stand alone units and believe it or not, Gibson made them! But not under their own name. They owned a company called Maestro and marketed them that way instead. I guess they wanted to protect their reputation in those days. :)

Anyway, here's a fine example of their handy-work, the Maestro MRK 1...This one had some extra trigger switches to add in extra hits of the various parts of this analog kit and would give you a top of the measure light to help with cuing it.

View attachment 93945

I covered the Teac A-450 cassette deck about a year ago with a top down view and now finally came across a couple of different head on views of the front panel which I painstakingly put together as each on was taken a slightly off angle to the other. Once done, I also added in the dust cover which was hand drawn in. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to this old bare bones deck other then liking the look of it with the borrowed 3340 series meters which look cool on a cassette deck. ;)

View attachment 93969

I've covered some pieces from Urei and JBL but don't think I've done much of anything with Altec, which was a Lansing company and the L in JBL, as in James B Lansing. One big happy family, right?! :)

So anyway, here's one of their older vintage offerings in terms of mixers, the Altec 1567A which still goes for north of a gee note on ebay from regular sellers with no flower pots in their ads! :D

View attachment 94016

Nice!

here is a silly question. You have any idea when the 19 inch rack standard came about?

Nice!

here is a silly question. You have any idea when the 19 inch rack standard came about?

I don't have a specific date on that but I'd hazard a guess it originally came out of the military somewhere around world war II and was then adopted by the broadcast industry as a handy way of securing their gear. I base my guess on seeing quite a bit of radio gear from the 20's and 30's and most of it was not standardized sizes as far as width goes. But, I could be wrong and maybe someone like the telephone companies developed it for their gear which would fill buildings!

My curiosity got the better of me! :D

According to Wikipedia,
"The 19-inch rack format with rack-units of 1.75 inches and holes tapped for 12-24 screws with alternating spacings of 1.25 inches and 0.5 inch was an established standard by 1934"

Apparently the phone company did come up with the initial idea but didn't adhere to any particular size standards?! :facepalm:

So yeah, 1934 puts in the "zone" of what I was thinking with probably the military coming up with that standard for contractors to adhere to...hence the term, Mil-Spec".

More info here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack

Continuing on with some more vintage Altec stuff, here's the extremely rare, extremely huge, (6 rack space high) and extremely expensive Altec 322C mono compressor. This one also requires an outboard 3 rack space high power supply(not shown) to feed the 6V and 270 V rails! Gotta love that tube stuff! :)

Anyway, as per usual, there virtually no decent pics on the web of this one so I had to create one by assembling several different images from Altec and Ampex, because some of the components are interchangeable such as the screws and knobs.

View attachment 94035

A while back, someone, (can't remember who) requested a Teac 3340S wallpaper with the deck laying on its back. At the time I didn't have a handy sample of that which was usable but did stumble upon one this morning and figured I'd give it a shot. ;)

View attachment 94049

Woah! That was fast work. Looks great,

Thinking I could have dusted it a bit more and taken it out of the rack....but that sucker's heavy!

Good job Jeff!

No one may know me fom Adam, but hey, my deck has been immortalized.
Lol
:-)

Back