TASCAM Wallpaper

I remember the S-1010M monitors from back in the day.

Love all the others, too many to mention individually!

You sure have a knack for this frankenphoto thing. Just think of what you could achieve if you put as much time into,...

hmm,...

let me think,...

Recording!!!

:spank::eek:;)

^ Thanks Dave! :)

I devoted about 30 years of my life to recording and got about as far as I was ever going to get! :D

So for now, photography and image processing is the current hobby with a definite bent toward maintaining the analog recording spirit. ;)

Anyway, I guess its close enough to Christmas to wish all of you holiday cheers and analog dreams! :)

View attachment 90889

right click to download...

Cheers! :)

I was poking around ebay earlier today looking for oddball items and stumbled across a vintage stereo tube compressor from Telefunken called the U-73. The seller claimed it to be extremely rare and considered Germany's answer to the all tube Fairchild compressors and is in a similar out of this world price point of $17,000 dollars! :eek: :D

Anyway, here's the unit direct from the dark forest!

View attachment 90976

A new year, a new theme...components!

Here's a UTC LS-55 output transformer. These puppies still fetch hundreds of dollars a piece on ebay because of their audio quality used on top end pro gear from the 50's and 60's.

View attachment 91137

Much thanks to a member here on the board, WhiteStrat, who was kind enough to take a really nice picture of his Urei 546 dual parametric EQ. I've covered this unit before but only as a Frankenstein render project, so it was nice to get one in here of the real thing!

View attachment 91144

I've felt a bit uninspired the past couple of weeks so apologies for not posting anything. Anyhoo...I came across a bit of an oddball item from TASCAM called the MM-200. This was basically a line level keyboard mixer that could handle up to 8 stereo keyboards with EQ provisions effect sends and 4 stereo effect returns with built in BBE processing! In a pinch, it could also be used as a decent mixdown mixer for a 16 track reel to reel too and decided it deserved placement here!

Hope you like it! :)

View attachment 91439

Just when I thought that I have seen all the older Tascam pieces, another one pops up.
Vey nice Image Ghost.

How do you get a hot knife to cut through cold butter? You heat up the knife!

Yup, this is a stylus heater used to warm up the cutting stylus on a record cutting lathe...probably from the 40's based on the logo from Fairchild. So this one's very much on topic for analog recording gear!

View attachment 91495

While I'm on the topic of records, might as well throw in a nice example of a classic record cutting lathe from the early 50's, the Presto K-10 Monaural record cutter which could make 33's and 45's in the comfort of your own home no less! An early Portastudio in some fashion. :D

View attachment 91543

Here's a couple of stereo compressors that might likely qualify as "most hated", though both were actually quite popular and inexpensive. I've also owned both of these at one point or another and even I can't decide which one is worse! :)

Anyway, here's the Alesis 3630 and the Fostex 3070 stereo compressors...

View attachment 91647

Been hunting around for a decent image of this next one, the Orban 418A stereo limiter with "Optimod" technology under the hood! Don't know what Optimod is all about? Google it! :p

Didn't actually find a decent image and so constructed the following one out of several other images. So file this one under Frankenstein! :D

View attachment 91707

SoundWorkshop. This company got it's start somewhere in the early 80's around the same time that the home studio market started opening up a bit. Probably their most popular products were their mixers which were aimed at Tascam and Otari 8 track reel owners. But, they also made some rack gear too including the following unit, an 242C stereo reverb unit which originally retailed for around $400 and currently sells on evilbay for well over a grand! :eek:

Anyway, I put this together from an off angle shot from a poorish quality brochure scan and rebuilt it with some Rickenbacker knobs...

View attachment 91734

Back