Tascam TSR-8... Mixer to match???

poopchute

I know that this question gets asked all the time for this and just about every other piece of equipment. I have a Tascam TSR-8.
My typical recording setup is gonna be something like this. Basically just me and my Old-Man. So there is never gonna be more than 2 people at any time. I dont plan on wanting to do any kind of crazy routing. Really, if I could just design a mixer the way I want to use it, I would have an 8 or maybe 12 channel mixer with Direct-Ins and Outs on each channel. Maybe it would be nice to have a 4 or 8 Channel Bus "Just in case". But I really just want to be able to Arm a Channel/Track or Two to Record... Record whatever. Then switch those two Tracks from Armed to Listen or "Monitor" so I can hear what I just recorded. Then Arm another 1, 2, or 3 Tracks and overdub as I listen to what I did on the first 2 Tracks.
I know what you're gonna say. Yep, I just explained how to use a mixer to record right? Well, I just wanted to explain what my basic workflow is gonna be. And yes, it IS basic.
Here is where I get a little confused, Do some Analogue mixers have a certain amount of busses and thats the main type of mixer? And then there are other types of mixers that I think are called In-Line or Direct Out mixers? OR did I just make that up?
Thanks

“Inline” means each strip does double-duty. Inputs and outputs reside on the same strip. So rather than having input strips and then over to the right your subgroups on separate strips, the input and subgroup are on the same strip. Often times monitor return functions are also on the same strip. My prototype Tascam console looks like it’s just got 12 channels and no subgroups, but it is a 12x8 console.

“Inline” means each strip does double-duty. Inputs and outputs reside on the same strip. So rather than having input strips and then over to the right your subgroups on separate strips, the input and subgroup are on the same strip. Often times monitor return functions are also on the same strip. My prototype Tascam console looks like it’s just got 12 channels and no subgroups, but it is a 12x8 console.

So would I need a mixer with 8 busses if I want to just record a few tracks at time and monitor whatever I already have recorded? Or would the 8 bus mixer help more if I have more people recording at 1 time? And I have a side question...
I have an old Digi-002 mixer unit that I used to use with Pro Tools. Without the Pro Tools software it can be set to use it as a digital mixer. Could I use that if I just want to get signals into the TSR-8 but am not too concerned with Eq'ing or adding fancy effects?

Have a look around for a secondhand Tascam M2524 mixer, it was a very good match for the TSR8. In fact this was once my studio setup before it moved to a Tascam M3700 and MSR16S, before it moved etc etc :facepalm:.

I know the M2524 is old, but there will be some good ones around.
Alan.

Have a look around for a secondhand Tascam M2524 mixer, it was a very good match for the TSR8. In fact this was once my studio setup before it moved to a Tascam M3700 and MSR16S, before it moved etc etc :facepalm:.

I know the M2524 is old, but there will be some good ones around.
Alan.

That 2524 looks like it has a lot more channels than I might ever need. Would a Tascam M-1516 be basically the same thing but with less channels???

The M-1516 is a different series but would work as well, there is a 16 channel version of the M2524 the M2516

I always think that more channels are always better, that way if you have any external effects, sound modules, keyboards etc you can leave them plugged into the spare channels.

Alan.

EDIT: the M1516 only has 4 sub groups the 25 series has 8.

Mix busses are a convenient feature...they are like a flexible patchbay that allows you to “repatch” by pushing buttons and turning knobs rather than plugging and unplugging cables. They also allow you to conveniently submix multiple inputs into one group to record onto one or more tracks. Is that something you need? It sounds like maybe not.

The number of mix busses does not have to equal the track count. Yes, in a professional studio that is often the case because time is money and it’s of value for the engineer to be able to assign inputs to any tape track from the chair. But it seems like it’s pretty commonplace for folks in the home recording or project studio arena to record a single source onto one track. To accomplish that you need at least direct outs on your input channels, and then at least as many channels as tape tracks for mixdown. Since it sounds like your process will involve some overdubbing, you will also need at least one cue mix, yes? Will you need more than one? Think about that...decide if the people you are recording with will all be able to live with the same cue mix during overdubs, or if you need more than one cue mix.

So...there are a number of mixers from a number of makers that will work, but something like an M-308 or M-1508 would work just fine as long as you don’t have more than 8 sources you want connected during tracking. Both of those examples have the ability to monitor tape tracks and setup cue mixes independently from the 8 inputs. 8 channels are the minimum, and will work if there are inbuilt means to independently monitor and submix tape tracks during overdubs.

Your Digi 002 will work to preamplify stuff, but it is *very* limited as far as monitoring inputs...I think you would find it very limiting and even frustrating with your scenario especially during overdubbing with multiple people. But, yes...it would meet the very basic need of preamplifying mics to line level and getting that signal to the tape deck, and mixing multiple tracks to stereo. Does it actually have 8 line level inputs? You’ll be doing a lot of repatching. I wouldn’t want to be using it myself.

Yeah, I guess I just got really lax about busses when using Pro-Tools considering you pretty much have un-limited busses. At least while mixing "In-The-Box". I never actually tried sending anything out of my Digi-002 to add any kind of external effects or anything...
Lets say I setup my drums to record and I use the Glynn-Johns method and stay old fashioned and use only 4 mics (I prefer the old fashion way, it makes you have to work for it)... I also setup another track for my old man to record a scratch guitar or bass track. Now I have 5 out of my 8 tracks recorded on. Now, while playing back do I have to use a Buss or maybe 2 Busses to do a stereo pre-mix of my drums or can I just set the drum tracks to playback mode and just mix each channel or track individually? But if I wanted to I could route the 4 drum tracks to say, busses 1 and 2 and have buss 1 panned hard left... and buss 2 panned hard right. Or do I really only want to use the busses when I want to bounce the 4 drum tracks down to 2?
Is any of that possible? Or am I describing doing things the hard way and not utilizing busses properly?
I have been watching Ebay for a Tascam M-2516 and it seems that the only thing I can get is the manual and a few single replacement knobs... It just happens to be that the mixer that I REALLY want seems to be one of the rarest of all of these Tascams...

You know if you have the space you could get a M3500 24 channel, they are not that much secondhand, but they are a bit on the large side. When I think of how much my original M2524 cost new, then think of what I paid for my M3700 32 channel new, and what they sell for now. However I have had many years of use out of them.

My old M2524 does the rounds for sale here (but I am a long way from you), I originally sold it for AU$350, cost AU$7000 new.

Keep looking something will turn up.

Alan.

Honestly I would MUCH rather get something like the M-2516 or 2524 or what you are recommending from someone on here rather than ebay. I just get the feeling that sellers on Ebay are trying to make money, or they know there is something majorly wrong with the unit so they pop it up on ebay and say that it all lights up and appears to work great. Then you get it shipped to you and lighting up is about the only thing it does well. Or they say they are selling it for a friend and theiy're not sure.
I'd much rather buy one from someone on here who most likely has used it and took decent care of it and is just looking to upgrade rather than pawn off a piece of used gear that they know is on its last legs...
I might pop over to the selling or classified section to see if anyone has anything close to what Im looking for...
And I dont necessarily have a problem going to something a little larger format. But I would LIKE to stay in the $300-$500 range...

So, probably more than you are looking for (because it’s got a pretty big footprint), and I’m not sure if you two are close to each other, but you could always hit up Miroslav and see if you can strike a deal...he has an M-3500-24 with full meter bridge that is no longer in use since he put his Trident London desk into service. I suspect he’d be pretty reasonable on the price. You should PM him if you are interested. Location would be the issue, like how proximal you guys are to each other...I know he’s not West coast, but I can’t recall if he’s central or East. Maybe the M-3500 is overkill, but it was his main console for years and he took care of it and I think he’s more concerned about it going to somebody who can use it vs making bank, but you’d need to confirm that with him. Just a thought since you expressed interest in getting something from a known source here...Miroslav is definitely that.

And I dont necessarily have a problem going to something a little larger format. But I would LIKE to stay in the $300-$500 range...

So, probably more than you are looking for (because it’s got a pretty big footprint), and I’m not sure if you two are close to each other, but you could always hit up Miroslav and see if you can strike a deal...he has an M-3500-24 with full meter bridge that is no longer in use since he put his Trident London desk into service.

I would let the TASCAM M3500 go to the first guy that dropped $500 in my hand, without hesitation. Even help you load it into your vehicle. :D
Crating all this up and shipping out by freight to anywhere in the USA, would probably cost more than double that...so someone who can pick it up would get the best deal.

I also have a shit load of spare parts...all would be included. Spare 4-channel module, the main half of another meter bridge, faders, spare buttons, LEDs...etc.
Heck...I just realized I also have the rarer-than-hens-teeth Balanced Amplifier Kit. I bought it from some guy on eBay, never bothered to install it. I think it was probably pulled, it wasn't brand new in a box...but it's probably fine, all the PCBs looked super clean to me, just never got around to installing it.

This 3500 was fully operational when I pulled it out of service...everything worked, not a single burned out LED or bad switch. All channels passed audio without issue. It's been sitting for over a year and a half now...so it's not going to need more than a onceover cleaning, and getting some of the "scratch" out of switches and faders.

Yeah...Wisconsin is a bit of a ride to NY. You're looking at about 15 hours and 1000 miles, one way...so it would take some motivation, but the console is here, and I would love to get it out of here. Better now before the deep winter sets in, rather than letting it sit in storage. Otherwise, come spring, I'm going to unload it locally, even if I just give it to a church or something like that. I don't need it sitting here for 5-10 years and then it ends up at the dump.

I have a fully functional Tascam M2600-24 that I will be putting up for sale sometime soon. I am in the Chicago area. I just took it out of service in September. But Miro's M3500 sounds like a great deal though.

Miro’s M-3500 IS a good deal...that’s pretty sweet it includes spares and the LA-3500 balancing kit...! :eek:

My deal goes for anyone here that frequents this place. I was originally asking more for it, but now I just want to get it out of here.
Someone come get it...and put it to use. :D

Before anyone starts making plans to sell anything Im gonna start by saying Im located in Wisconsin about 50 minutes West of Green Bay. I know that to ship any of these mixers... even the slightly smaller M-1516, M-2516, or M-2524 let alone some of those "console" style mixers the shipping is Ridiculous... So Im gonna have to be patient (which overall Im not) and wait for someone who is at least only 1 state away at most, or hopefully in Wisconsin. And with the amount of music coming from Wisconsin, I would say Im gonna be waiting a long while...
I do appreciate the enthusiasm... but we all know how tricky this is...
Maybe I should just sell a kidney or something and get a Toft ATB-16. I will admit that I have never been lucky enough to hear one, but just the overall look and design. Thats my dream "overkill" mixer...

Well...I did say that WI was pretty far, and that it would take a heap of motivation to make the trek to NY. :D
That said, I've known people to drive across a couple of states to pick up larger gear. I did a fairly long ride a couple of years ago when I scored my Trident...of course, it depends on the gear too. Some is worth the extra effort. :)

AFA the Toft...you could do better for the money they ask.
Not a "bad" board, just over-priced for the quality....but it looks nice. ;)

People who get them...and then soon after try to sell them (which is a red flag)...have a very hard time getting their money out.

For a Toft, you'll eventually want to modify the master section, and the inline monitor section is noisy, other than that, the board has a a lot of great routing features,and I really like the EQ. I had master noise issues with a demo unit, sent that back, got a replacement, and all is working well with the new board now. We'll see how well it holds up over the next couple years.

I don't mean to bash the Toft ATB...I'm sure if it was in my hands, I would use it with pleasure.
I just think they overpriced them for what they are...and other folks have said the same thing. When you have to mod something out of the box to make it right...mmm.

The Toft ATB was the initial return to the "Trident" legacy, by PMI Audio, so that's what raised the price on them, IMO...and at the time, they couldn't use the "Trident" name, so it became the "Toft". They've since separated their partnership with Toft..or he retired...etc.

Now they also own the "Trident" name and design/intellectual property, so now PMI Audio has reissued consoles under the "Trident" name...and they are substantially more expensive, but, they are actually getting good reviews, as the build quality is of a much higher level.
So the Toft line is now their secondary line...and I think they should drop the pricing on them, to make them more affordable for the lower budget home rec crowd...but PMI Audio doesn't roll that way from what I've seen. :D

Back