Tascam Remote Question

kimo

I've got a Tascam 58 that I am cleaning up and I'm looking for a remote for it.
I have yet to see either an RC-50 or RC-51 that are designed for the 58, on ebay or anywhere else on the net. BUT, I do see RC-71's all of the time(which has a different connector than the 58).

This question might be crazy, but would it be possible to use an RC-71 with my 58? Provided that there would be some way to look at the schematics and find some way to connect the pins on the RC-71 to the right holes in the 58.

OR, does anyone have any leads on an RC-50 or RC-51?

Thanks!

It is possible, but you'll need to study the pinouts for the 58 in the manual for the remote connector, and somebody can probably offer some info on the RC-71/RC-90 functions. I'll check my 48-OB manual later to see if it has that info. You'll also need to get the ELCO connector to rewire the RC-71/RC-90 unit...I've purchased ELCO supplies from Redco Audio. You could also build your own remote.

If it were me I'd hold out for an RC-50/51.

RC-71 pinout

Hey Kimo,

Don't know if this helps, but here is a pinout for the RC-71...I'm assuming it is probably the same for the RC-90.

I don't recall if you have the manual for your 58...I think you do, but let me know if you need the pinout for the REMOTE connector on the back of the 58.

Also, I have both the RC-51 and the RC-50, so let me know if you have any specific questions about those...I can research if it might help you.

Here is the RC-71 pinout:

Attachments

• RC-71 pinout.jpg
    RC-71 pinout.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 54
Sweets,
Thanks a lot for the diagram. I do have the manual for my 58. I actually got it from the Reel Pro guys, with whom I had no problem. (not trying to stir up any drama related to that other thread, ha). Anyways I've decided to wait a little bit and see if a 50/51 pops up anywhere. We'll see how long my patience lasts though.

By the way, just put the last screw back into my M520, thanks for your cleanup advice, she is lookin good. You definitely realize how many buttons and knobs there are when you scrub them one by one!

On another unrelated note, if one of the RCA output jacks on my 58 would happen fail, thus causing the xlr jacks to fail, would this be a repairable problem? Or would I have to scour the internet for another needle in a haystack? The extra set of outs would be really helpful, but I'm paranoid about losing a channel.

Thanks for all the help man.

On the 58 I/O...boy I really don't know. Cjacek may know more about that (or others) and maybe there will be some more comments on it. My instinct is that it would be repairable...it is a solder joint issue I believe so you just need to get to the PCB and reset the joints by touching the soldering iron to each joint...that's the deal. The RCA jacks are held only by the solder joints to one PCB.

If it is a matter of resetting the joints its not a big deal. I did that to all the I/O pins on the amp cards in the 58.

Just hook it up and see if there is trouble and then take it from there. If you use the RCA's you can just leave the snake attached once its connected to preserve the integrity of the jacks.

Yes, Cory is exactly right and that it's a solder issue with the 58 RCA jacks. If they haven't failed yet then be very very careful with them. It'd be best to spray some caig deoxit D5, which has some lubricant action, to make it less stressful on the structures [when inserting cables]. Did I mention TEAC dropped the ball on those pesky 58 RCA jacks?:eek::D;) Other than that, it is a top of the line machine.:)

--

Thanks for all of the knowledge, guys.

Beats - I'm playing on the road for the next week, I'll post some pics of my cave when I get back next week.

Kimo,

What do you play? Where are you playing?

YOU CALL YOUR STUDIO A CAVE TOO???

SWEET!!

My studio is a strange collection of 5 foot tall insulated oak-framed partition panels I got from surplus with solid core doors on top for a roof...it is in my shop. it is a temporary solution I threw together in the midst of a CD project...2 years ago...the cave is becoming less than temporary...:D

Back