Tascam Portastudio 488 Mk2

JoshHorn

Is it any good? Or not? Ive seen it and it looks like it has a lot of features, but never used it. Has anyone used this Portastudio before?? If so I'd like to hear about it.

The 488MKII is a solid little machine. The addition of the XLR inputs is a major improvement over the original 488.
I've owned both, and the only problem I've ever encountered with them concerns the buss assign buttons...not the most robust design, so punch them carefully!
The heads seem to wear extremely well, but I'm fastidious with my head and transport cleaning regimine on all of my machines.

It can deliver a very good product if enough time is spent with it. The manual is pretty straight ahead too.

Here's a couple of "Dragon" Links: http://www.homerecording.com/tas488specs.html
http://www.homerecording.com/tas488tips.html

I've had hundreds of hours of fun with mine and produced some very good sounding product. Good luck and have fun with yours!

I like it!

I'd recommend getting the 488mkII. I don't have a huge amount of experience with it, but I do own one, I've used it, and I think it's great. It's the same design factor as the 424mkII, which is one of my favorite Portastudios, ever. It's pretty sturdy, overall, and I've not had any problems with buttons or anything else. I am gentle, and baby my equipment, in general, and I never press buttons with a heavy hand, but not because I think any part is weak, just because that's how I treat my equipment.

Tascam 488 MkII

I've just been given a Tascam 488 MkII.

Don't know whether to keep it or sell it.
Having only two channels with phantom power and recording at 4 tracks can be a bit limiting. But I imaging that it would be quite useful sometimes.

Any idea what these things sell for, Sept 2009 in UK £s?

Thanks.

I've just been given a Tascam 488 MkII.

Don't know whether to keep it or sell it.
Having only two channels with phantom power and recording at 4 tracks can be a bit limiting. But I imaging that it would be quite useful sometimes.

Any idea what these things sell for, Sept 2009 in UK £s?

Thanks.

Depends upon where you are in your development and knowledge. It's a great tool to learn signal flow logic, buss and FX routing, and bouncing techniques....plus it does deliver a pretty nice recording with the dbx switched on. I expect they won't bring much anymore, tho.:(

KEEP IT!!!! LOL

I haven't had much time to use mine, but I do love it. Yes, the inputs can be challenging, but that is exactly what can make it so edearing. It forces you to consider what you are doing and what you are going to do. I really would encourage you to keep it.

If you're recording yourself, it's an awesome machine, because you'll probably never find yourself needing to record more than 2 track simultaneously, and still can record up to 4 tracks in a pinch. However, having only 4 tracks to record with simultaneously can be a little limiting if you want to record a band; unless you're used to using a 4 tracker, in which case it's a God-send because you have an additional 4 tracks at similar quality to a 4 track Portastudio. It'll even let you take old 4 track Portastudio tapes and add an additional 4 tracks to them by overdubbing.

I started recording my band with a 488 (mki) and was able to get some good results.

-MD

I personally think the 488mkII is Tascam's crowning achievement in the PortaStudio line. Some argue that the first machines (244,etc.) or the 424 mkII and III are better since having only 4 tracks means better sound, etc. but I disagree. The sound quality difference is negligible in my opinion and being able to record 8 tracks of audio on a cassette still amazes me. The mixer alone is a work of art and worth the price of admission itself.

I recommend the 488mkII to anyone looking for a solid multi-track machine to use for demos and band rehearsals. The two "super channels" with XLR inputs, phantom power and inserts make recording vocals and acoustic instruments easy and with great results. With time and patience, one can make really brilliant recordings with the machine and I still use it all the time.

i've had one and it was my favorite machine, now i own a 688 because i can record 8 tracks at the same time,but i prefer the recording with the 488II cuz it's as easy as it can get,also the 688 doesn't have phantom power i wonder why???with patience and ear you can get very good results,i posted in different forums and they were all like:what,that's a cassette recording???i think i'll get one!

i also had a yamaha md8,but i preferer the sound of cassette,so i had to sell it,also cassettes are cheaper than mddata!

get it! for results,get john frusciantes "shadows collide with people demos" everything was mixed and recorded with a 488 mkII, he still uses it.

I own a 488 - (not the mkll / i own the previous model) If you check out e-bay they go for between $100 - $200 in US currancy (I don't know the exchange rate) depending on the condition. Personally, I thenk the 488 is the best porta-studio analogue machine out there - it's easy to use - it's fun and you can get pretty creative with it.

Back