TASCAM Porta Two slider fix?

Voyo

Hello!

I've had a TASCAM Porta Two for two years now, it worked smoothly and I never had any problems with it, but today I found myself unable to activate track 1 - the slider seems to be set to "off" and changing it's position does nothing, I can't record or mix anything recorded on that track earlier (though I can listen to the previous recordings using the tape cue mode). Still, I was just going to record some stuff with my band tomorrow using it and minimizing the amount of available tracks from 4 to 3 seems like a bit of a problem. I opened up the Porta and couldn't figure out anything that I could do with the sliders from the inside. My father suggested using some kind of liquid that is often used when it comes to repairing old electronic stuff (I'm not an English native speaker and I don't know the name, but it's not WD40 ;)). Have anybody had this sort of problem on a TASCAM device? Can you suggest any solutions to it? Time is of the essence for me, so I would appreciate some quick help. Thanks in advance!

It's highly unlikely that a contact cleaner spray or fader lubricant would be the problem and especially so if the problem suddenly appeared. Far more likely you just got a bad solder joint somewhere on that channel strip. So you'd have to open it up and start poking around for suspicious looking solder traces on the wires that connect to that strip and retouch them with some fresh solder and the right type of iron that won't get too hot and damage the traces on the circuit board. Are you up to this type of trouble shooting??

Cheers! :)

Back