Tascam MTS-1000...

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
...What a monster!! I just received the newest addition to my stable today. A guy in Pennsylvania was gracious enough to ship it to me here in Texas. This thing is about the size of my 424mkII! And talk about buttons!! I'll be reading up in the manual for a while.:D It's a great light show when you flip on the power too.:p

Congrats!

I was lusting after one of those things until I realized I was having trouble filling up the 16 tracks on my MS-16 without anything else tagging along for the ride! :D

Best of luck learning how it all works! :)

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost. Sorry to hear you are parting with some of your equipment though.

I figure the 1000 is a bit of overkill for a TSR-8, but it'll be fun! I'd like to see how the MIDI functions work with the M2516, if at all.

I figure the 1000 is a bit of overkill for a TSR-8, but it'll be fun! I'd like to see how the MIDI functions work with the M2516, if at all.

Ah! Your board has midi muting. I guess that could come in handy if you have a fairly complex mix. I kind of got used to rehearsing mixdowns, manually muting stuff along with all the other level changes. On the more complex 16 track stuff, my ex-band-mate would help out with chores on one side of the board, and me on the other! :D

As for stuff, I still have most of it! I've only managed to sell off a few of the smaller pieces and one of the mixers. I might even be content keeping one mixer and the 8 track along with the reverb and a compressor or two. The rest of it though really needs to go.

Cheers! :)

We want to see pics!!!! Congrats.

Hey DA, I'll get pics up as soon as I can. Right now I've got a dilemma.

What kind of cables does this thing take? I'm gathering that it doesn't take the standard DB-9 or DB-25 that computers use. Crap! Suggestions and sources for the right cables?:confused:

Hey DA, I'll get pics up as soon as I can. Right now I've got a dilemma.

What kind of cables does this thing take? I'm gathering that it doesn't take the standard DB-9 or DB-25 that computers use. Crap! Suggestions and sources for the right cables?:confused:

I don't believe you can buy these new so you will have to make them or have someone make them for you. The cable needs a male DB15 plug on both ends (this standard was used for PC joysticks before USB).

The pinout is thus:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=1110368&postcount=5

...the one in the ATS-500 manual did not show the capstan servo line, which resulted in it not actually being able to maintain sync after the two decks had locked. I'm not sure what you're intending to do with yours - if you're not run a deck as a slave it doesn't matter so much.

I don't believe you can buy these new so you will have to make them or have someone make them for you. The cable needs a male DB15 plug on both ends (this standard was used for PC joysticks before USB).

The pinout is thus:

...the one in the ATS-500 manual did not show the capstan servo line, which resulted in it not actually being able to maintain sync after the two decks had locked. I'm not sure what you're intending to do with yours - if you're not run a deck as a slave it doesn't matter so much.

Thanks JP. I had my suspicions on that plug, but wasn't sure. I guess I'll be ordering cable and DB15 ends. Should be interesting putting my limited soldering skills to the test.:eek:

The ATS-500 issue makes sense now. I was going to buy 2 TSR-8 decks with an ATS-500, but could only afford one deck at a time, so I didn't get the 2nd one. They guy mentioned that he couldn't ever really get the ATS-500 to work right with the two. I also remember reading on here somewhere about the pin outs on that unit too.

Thanks JP. I had my suspicions on that plug, but wasn't sure. I guess I'll be ordering cable and DB15 ends. Should be interesting putting my limited soldering skills to the test.:eek:

If you can find an integrated one, great. What usually happens is that you buy the actual connector and the plastic protective shell separately. Make sure you take that into account or you could end up with just the bare connector, which would work but makes it more likely to be damaged and increases the possibility of something shorting it out which would be Bad.

The ATS-500 issue makes sense now. I was going to buy 2 TSR-8 decks with an ATS-500, but could only afford one deck at a time, so I didn't get the 2nd one. They guy mentioned that he couldn't ever really get the ATS-500 to work right with the two. I also remember reading on here somewhere about the pin outs on that unit too.
Well, I had to figure this out the hard way :P

Okay, I'm a little late on this, and I didn't realize this topic got buried this far back so fast!

I promised some pictures, so here they are!:D

Attachments

• DSCN0906.jpg
    DSCN0906.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN0907.jpg
    DSCN0907.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN0908.jpg
    DSCN0908.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 162

The pinout is thus:

Hey do you still have the correct pin out for the ATS 500 synchronizer cable? It doesn’t seem to wanna load.
Thanks

Hey do you still have the correct pin out for the ATS 500 synchronizer cable? It doesn’t seem to wanna load.
Thanks
Someone has very cleverly broken all the links in the intervening 11 years. Fortunately, it turns out I did save a copy back in the day, though digging it up was painful and I was about to give up.

Here you go: I think I will also amend my copy of the manual to avoid losing this again.

Attachments

• ACCESSORY2.gif
    ACCESSORY2.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 6
Back