Tascam MS16 tape noise

Chip Whitley

https://youtu.be/7165yrEdGcU

Hi all. So every since i've had these MS16's, i've noticed they make a slight noise from time to time, seemimgly coming from the tape rubbing against the take up reel. I've switched the reels and it doesn't seem to follow only the reels.

My question is, is this at all common or should I be pretty concerned and what could I do to remedy this? I had a 388 previously that did this but I never noticed any effect from it. I try to avoid putting anything on 16 just incase.

Thanks for any and all info or tips you guys can shoot my way.

PS: It sounds a lot more dramtic on this video than it is.

PPS: I love you..

Hi Chip,
That looks to be tape rubbing up against the reel flange.
This is sometimes caused by a reel that's slightly bent. Other times the reel itself is perfectly true but the reel table is adjusted too low or too high (or adjusted for a different brand of takeup reel--the flange thicknesses vary a bit by manufacturer).
It's also possible that the last tension guide isn't adjusted properly or fully screwed causing the tape to ride up a bit and scrape the top flange (these guides have a tendency to loosen a bit over time--I've had one come apart and spring into the air in the middle of a session).

Could be tape tension is not right causing a poor pack,warped TU reel, reel table height not set correctly,(tape should be centered between the flanges when in play),poorly slitted tape,or tape path out of alignment.Put a junk reel of tape on it, FFWD to the middle and stop.Rock the tape back and forth with the RWD and FFWD transport buttons.Watch the tape as it stops and reverses direction,There should be no movement of the tape up or down at the moment the tape reverses direction.Look at the whole tape path.There is a "Fine tape path Adjustment" in the manual-but it is a bitch to do.Do not adjust the tape height with the rollers or adjust tape tension with the pots.Some times"someone"cranks up the RWD and FFRW TU tensions to speed RWD or FFWD.This just screws up things.

It could be that the reels are slightly different thicknesses and that a combination of 2 particular reel causes the problem? AMPEX and BASF (EMTEC) reels were slightly different and I used to place small card packers under the clams on the AMPEX to stop them wobbling as I mostly used EMTEC.

Alan.

I used to place small card packers under the clams on the AMPEX to stop them wobbling as I mostly used EMTEC.

I agree that's a really good thing to try--I do this all the time with my Otari MX5050. I didn't realize there was enough space on MS16's the reel table.

Back