Tascam MS16 no audio to/from heads

jim10000

Hi,
I have a Tascam MS16 that just stopped passing audio. I can't record to tape or playback on either head. All other functions seem to be working and all units are getting power. Has anyone experienced this? I have the service manual and tools but my diagnostic skills are lacking to say the least. Please help!
Thanks,
-jim

Wow! :eek:

I've had the odd channel here and there disappear on me from time to time but not all 16 at once! :confused:

I'd check the fuse block in the transport section to see if the ones for the record amp component are blown or not. Also, I'd check the power umbilical cable that feeds that unit to ensure it is connected and if after that, there is still no sound, I'd seek out a qualified technician and get an estimate.

It has to be something common to all 16 tracks and that usually means something in the power suppy...perhaps a blown transistor that regulated voltage in the supply that feeds the amp unit. I'd suspect any transistors mounted on heat sinks as they are the ones that run under hotter operating conditions and higher voltages so thermal failure on those would be my first suspects.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers! :)

Back