Tascam Midiizer MTS-1000 Manual & Cables

trancedental

Got a Midiizer for £50.00 but without the cables & manual, looks too complicated to use without a manual so was wondering if anyone here has a scanned or .pdf version?

Also any information on the cables needed or will trade & / or buy some that would be great I suppose I'll have to track some down & / or make them?

Cheers JK

Last edited:
JK,

I have the manual on pdf and also pinouts and info on how to make the cables. I thought I had your direct email, but I can't find it. Send me a PM and I'll send you what I have.

:)

Got the manual from Beck, thanks for that!

Seems to be some problems with this machine, powers up, LCD screen on, control buttons including lights come on but no control buttons change functions. The flywheel / shift esc keyboard section doesn't do anything either?

I tried sending a sync code to a recorder but with no luck so far?

Any ideas? Is there a reset procedure for this machine or cell type battery that needs replacing maybe?

Any help appreciated!!!

Did you make the cables yourself? I hope you saw the pin 4 to pin 2 reversal on each end. :eek: AND the shield around...ah...I can't remember which one. I'll have to look. Oh, here it is.:D
is.php

fitZ

ps. good luck with the midiizer. I LOVE mine!!;)

BTW, I just made TWO of these. I had to lengthen my cables to TWO MSR's

Oh, and btw again, I believe the diagram is viewing the plug from the BACK SIDE. But check your Pin numbers for sure.

RICK FITZPATRICK , I was trying to record a sync code although I don't have the serial cables I'm assuming that I can still do this without the serial cable, which just won't adjust the speed of the recorder?

I'm sure I read that this is possible on here somewhere, just like a usual sync box?

As I said I don't think any of the function control buttons are working, and none of the buttons change when you press them at all!!!!!!!!!! The cursor doesn't move on the LCD screen when you use the keyboard keys either????

RICK FITZPATRICK , I was trying to record a sync code although I don't have the serial cables I'm assuming that I can still do this without the serial cable, which just won't adjust the speed of the recorder?

I'm sure I read that this is possible on here somewhere, just like a usual sync box?

As I said I don't think any of the function control buttons are working, and none of the buttons change when you press them at all!!!!!!!!!! The cursor doesn't move on the LCD screen when you use the keyboard keys either????

Followed the instructions below but still none of the control buttons work.

"After the machine is power up, press OTHER, then press UTILITY, then hold down SHIFT and OTHER together and the software version will appear on the screen."

This machine appears to be working at least some of the time after I took it apart a few times, although maybe not 100%.

Still I managed to record & play back a sync code even without the accessory 2 cable connected to my TSR-8.

Once I locate & / or make a cable I'll see if the other functions work properly on it?

Reading through the manual it looks like I'll have to create a MIDI song & events to run a sequencer?

I really want PTLE to just work from MTC without having the Midiizer doing the MIDI tempo stuff, I think I'd rather do that in the computer!!!!!!

Last edited:
Bump this thread up to ask a silly question!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it matter which way round you use these cables, because either end is wired slightly differently to the other, which end goes to the midiizer & which to your R2R recorder? Or does it matter at all?

Go the parts so I'm ready to go........................! My soldering skills are not that great!!!!!!!

As long as the pin to pin wiring is correct, then it shouldn't matter which end of the cable goes to which machine. They're the same. But JUST TO MAKE SURE you've soldered them correctly, use a multimeter set on "continuity", or resistance(R1 etc.) to check the PIN TO PIN CONTINUITY. Start with the PIN 2 on one Dsub to PIN 4 on the other. Then, PIN 4 to PIN 2 on the other. Those are the only two pins with CROSS CONNECTIONS from Pin 2 to Pin 4 and vice versa. Then check the contiuity from PIN 5 to PIN 5, 6 to 6, 7 to 7, 8 to 8, 13 to 13, and 14 to 14. It is IMPERITIVE these are soldered correctly and do NOT short out to other pins. I know these are tough to solder. I've done TWO sets and their a bitch.:D BTW, you've got to really LOOK closely for the numbers. Do NOT assume the direction of the plug shown in my drawing is from the front or back. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DSUBS!
fitZ

Got the manual from Beck, thanks for that!

Seems to be some problems with this machine, powers up, LCD screen on, control buttons including lights come on but no control buttons change functions. The flywheel / shift esc keyboard section doesn't do anything either?

I'm not sure if you're still having this problem, but on my Midiizer, once in a while one of the white menu buttons gets stuck. If this happens, I'm not able to use any of the buttons until it get "unstuck." It might just be a stuck button on your console.

Hope that helps!
-MD

Final update on this thread!!!!

Although this particular Midiizer does send & record SMPTE codes & syncs to recorded stripes without any problem & also the MIDI functions seem to work, none of the tape transport control features work at all from what I can tell, nor does this machine seem to want to communicate with the TSR-8. Tried the set up procedure ect;

At first I suspected my soldering skills were suspect as I had to makup up a connection cable, if you saw my soldering you would tend to agree, but I picked up another Midiizer very cheap complete with the original PW-5MD D-Sub serial cable, and further tests confirm that the first Midiizer doesn't fully function.

Can't get bargains all the time I suppose!

Been looking for a schematic for the Midiizer on the net with no luck!

Have opened it up again & not 100% sure about the 3 PCB fuses, they don't test right but work so could be worth replacing them to rule them out.

I might have to take the 2 main PCB boards out & have a look then, I suppose at least I've got another working Midiizer to compare but really don't want to open up another one as I'll propably wreck it!!!!!

Fuses replaced but same old problem, now I've taken my working Midiizer apart to help troubleshoot the faulty one!

So the whole front top control panel & attached PSB on the faulty one works 100% now it look's I got to take apart the rest of the bottom section & the 2 PCB boards within to see what I can find....................?

Arrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: Fault is somewhere on the lower PCB, the control PCB & the function button display PCB board are working OK.

Can't see anything broken or burnt out though, seems that a service manual / schematic is not going to be cheap judging by a phone call I made earlier!!!!!

Last edited:
Been looking for a schematic for the Midiizer on the net with no luck!
I've got one. It might take a few days but I'll see if I can scan them and post em or email you a file. I'm slammed with work at the moment so give me a few days.
fitZ

Cheers Rick!

I'm begining to suspect that something like a digital chip might be faulty somewhere on the bottom PCB main board as the lights / buttons on the syncro mode CHASE PHASE SLOW, & the code staus LOCK 24 25 30 DF VIDEO don't light or seem to work at all although sometimes they light up just slightly once in a while.

I know the middle control PCB & the top PCB at the back of the cover work as I've swaped them around into with the working Midiizer.

Midiizer picture for reference below not my faulty one!

Attachments

• midiizer 3.jpg
    midiizer 3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 257
What a BEAUTIFUL machine! I love em.:D Been so busy I haven't had a chance to turn mine on in 8 months. :eek::mad: Heres mine. Kinda blurry though. I suck at photography:rolleyes:
fitZ

is.php

WTF!!!! So that's what happened to mission control's console!!!!
:D My "mission control" is only part of the story.;) Heres what it will look like when finished...except even the Sketchups arn't finished yet too!:rolleyes: Not enough hours in the day anymore. But I'll finish it as soon as I finish the kitchen I'm building right now. Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread. But I thought you might be interested in my ANALOG MISSION CONTROL:p Except these Sketchups don't have the twin MSR-16s or other ANALOG tape decks inserted yet. Thats why I have the MIDIIZER...32 tracks with a 32 channel M-3700 to mix on.
fitZ

is.php

is.php

is.php

is.php

Back