Tascam M600's simplest form!

Ron,

Seems like you have issues elsewhere in the master section.
Do you have a VOM for signal tracing?

Are you getting signal at the CR outs or STUDIO outs or STEREO BUS inserts at the patchbay?

Gary

How do I keep this site from logging me out?, at some point. after spending an hour typing a response!! Only to find most of it gone!

Ron

How do I keep this site from logging me out?, at some point. after spending an hour typing a response!! Only to find most of it gone!

Ron

When logging in click the "remember me" button. Also if the log in screen comes up after you have written a reply, don't panic, just re-log in and it will post what you have written.

Alan.

witzendoz,

Thanks for that. It's just that I did log on AGAIN, then it came back with background..nothing else. Of course afterwards I played the back-button game. Then..:cursing: the saved content game!

Ron,

Seems like you have issues elsewhere in the master section.
Do you have a VOM for signal tracing?

Are you getting signal at the CR outs or STUDIO outs or STEREO BUS inserts at the patchbay?

Gary

Ha! I don't know what a VOM is.

Yes, I have a signal at all three. I wrote a lengthy explanation of my exact set-up Twice and even added some pictures. But lost them both. I will try again when I have the time.
Basically though. I get signal through 2TRK IN to the master Buss. But can't figure out, how to send it elsewhere!:confused:

Ron

2 trk inputs on most TASCAM boards without a patch bay just feed to the monitoring section of the board so that you can hear back your recorded stereo masters. But, if they're available on the patch bay, simply patch them over to a standard channel strip if you want to send that signal elsewhere, such as the stereo buss to check if those swapped faders are working properly.

A VOM is just an abbreviation for a meter that reads voltage, amperage and resistance. Volt-Ohm-Meter/ VOM.

Cheers! :)

Ron,

PM me your e-mail I'll try to scan the console flow chart etc... for you.
We should be able to at least narrow down to were you are losing signal.
In the meantime go through ckeck all cable connections at console/patchbay, exercise all knobs/switches,
plug/unplug cable at patchbay,etc...

Gary

2 trk inputs on most TASCAM boards without a patch bay just feed to the monitoring section of the board so that you can hear back your recorded stereo masters. But, if they're available on the patch bay, simply patch them over to a standard channel strip if you want to send that signal elsewhere, such as the stereo buss to check if those swapped faders are working properly.

A VOM is just an abbreviation for a meter that reads voltage, amperage and resistance. Volt-Ohm-Meter/ VOM.

Thanks for the information Ghost. VOM..oh yea I have one of those!

sasquatch,

I'm going to do just that. BTW, I have the signal flow charts that are supplied with the manual. And, have been consulting them. But, it gets a little daunting at times. The next thing on my list, is to pull PB#3 And check if the DIRECT OUT's have been set to non-normalled.

Ron,

Didn't realize you had the manual already.
That said,should make this a whole lot easier.

Totally agree! I was lost without the suggested PB connections diagrams!

In the bundle of things that came with the MS16 and M-600 were two cables made-up by a previous owner. One that I will call cable "A" is a D-sub 25 one end to- 2-XLR male, 2-RCA male, the other.

The other I'll call "B" is D-sub 25 to- 2-XLR female, 2-1/4 phone male, and 2-RCA male.

I assume they were meant to connect 2 trk's and monitors. Or other gear.

I used them as depicted in the photos attached.
SANY0196.JPGSANY0195.JPGSANY0194.JPGSANY0193.JPG

Done a preliminary check. Switched the Oscillator on @ 1kHz selected the PGM buss for output. Adj. the buss trims to all register 0 db.

Buss 4 acting weird..Fluctuates (bounces) a lot during trim adj. then settles down.

NOTE level of track 4 @ recorder input.

SANY0197.JPGSANY0198.JPGSANY0199.JPGSANY0201.JPGAny suggestions?

Ron

New twist! The last few days the solo light comes on, when I power-up the console. It wont go out. No solo circuit buttons are engaged. This is random..no rhyme or reason thing. When I power it up next time (no changes made) it slowly dims out (sometimes). Then after powering down. It powers-up fine again. But when a fresh power-on is initiated, it comes on again, and stays lit until some more on/off procedures.

Anyone with more knowledge of this, have any suggestions?

Ron

No suggestions. Just a question for you, Ron.

What issues did the seller of your board indicate to you before you bought it? I ask because you seem to be coming up with various problems out of the blue here and I'm curious to learn if these are expected issues, because they told you about them before you bought it or if they said everything worked and are now finding out they were less then honest with you.

I've never seen a board with solo or PFL issues like yours. It's likely due to a failing ground connection somewhere in a harness or on a rail or on a card, but tracing that down will require pro technician skills to track down.

Ghost,

I already responded to this in the Meter bulb thread. But for the benefit of anyone following along, He only said everything was in "good" condition. Considering the age of these guys M-600/ ms16, I have to agree.

The solo light issue seems to be linked to the 2TRK assign button. I have patched in a D-sub above the 2TRK location on the patch-bay. The M-600 does not like this! User error I think! Got a lot to learn. I'm still trying to get my head around a plausible way to insert FX units. Without using, Telephone Tie Blocks, suggested by the manual.

Well I'm still pondering the problem. How to connect out-board gear to the 600. Bantam to 1/4 patch cables would be cool..can't find that. Some of the gear has RCA so,, bantam to RCA that would be cool (although might be a balance issue) absolutely can't find that.

41So now I'm thinking..I have an extra TT patch-bay. I could get an D-sub to 1/4 male snake x8. Each one, would allow me to connect 4- two channel units.

Hum..but then the snake would need to be 1/4 mono male..right? Just trying to think this through. And balanced would be good.

How's it going with the M600?

I'm missing some pages from my manual (16, 17 and 1-14) was wondering if you could fill me in :)

Back